New MBP battery percentage dropping fast

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Grounderz, Jul 15, 2013.

1. Grounderz, Jul 15, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2013

Grounderz macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

Received a new Macbook pro battery for my birthday present and replaced the aged battery that came with the MBP.

Everything seems to be working normally. However, the battery somehow is acting like the old battery. It has dropped from 93% to 88% in the last 10 minutes with brightness raised to 13 bars and Chrome with a few tabs running in the background only. No other applications are running.

My suspicions has led me to suspect that this could either be due to a faulty battery or the battery percentage is reporting off indications that don't represent the true percentage of the battery due to lack of battery calibration for first-time use. It's dropped to 86% now as I type this.

Does anybody have a clue of which possibility might it be?

MacBook Pro 15-inch, mid- 2010.

2. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

How long was the battery installed? If it's a day or two then let it 'run in'. My 2011 MBP had then same issue and it went back to 'normal' after a week.

3. Grounderz thread starter macrumors newbie

It was installed yesterday. Something tells me that I should completely discharge the battery and let it drain out till 0% and shut down on its own, and then charge it back again till 100%. That's when the battery percentage will represent the true value and accuracy of the battery's life.

4. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Is it an original Apple battery or a knock-off (or OEM) battery?

You can install Coconut Battery to check the battery's capacity and health.

5. Grounderz thread starter macrumors newbie

I would assume this an original Apple battery as I am not sure where this is bought as it is a birthday present.

Would battery calibration help in any way? Or maybe the battery percentage reading is incorrect?

6. vpro macrumors 65816

vpro

You can't assume these things, either it is authentic Apple or it isn't, if it isn't then it is inferior if you are having to ask about this problem.

7. kooskoos1814 macrumors member