New MBP Battery Questions....

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by KettyKrueger, Jun 10, 2009.

1. KettyKrueger macrumors 6502

KettyKrueger

Hi All,

I'm going to get one of these bad-boys but having never owned an Apple notebook before I just wanted to ask; will leaving it connected to the mains damage the battery in any way?

I read that you need to let it run off the battery every once in a while, is this true?

Also, once it is running from the battery, should I let the battery run completely down before charging again? Should I avoid unplugging it for a couple of hours then charging, over and over?

Thanks.

2. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

You can leave it plugged in, I recommend unplugging it every couple weeks and working the battery just a bit.

The 2nd part you're talking about sounds like the battery calibration, which is described here.

3. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Apple says you need to go through at least one charge cycle every month for optimal battery health. This just means that the cumulative charges used while unplugged totals 100%, so you could halfway discharge the battery twice or only take 10% ten times.
    Draining your battery completely is bad for the battery and should be avoided.