new MBP battery reads 7 cycles!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by paenguin, Feb 27, 2008.

1. paenguin macrumors member

paenguin

got a/the new MBP base model. restored system from a TM backup.
    when i opened iStat, battery shows 7 cycles!!:confused:
    did istat kept the old details from my old battery and just added the new battery details? i am kinda hesitant in going back to the store since i have had 3 trips already. from a dent on the clamshell, exchange to new model, etc.
    any advice would be appreciated. thanks!

2. benlangdon macrumors 65832

benlangdon

istat shows battery cycles?
    where?
    i always wondered where to find how many battery cycles i have done.

and seriuosly do not worry about going there alot.
    i know almost everyone there by first name.
    thats what there there for.
    i spent 3 hours there once, and came back every day for week and a half after that, but finally fixed it. ya esata cards are not very reliable and are very touchy, well at least on my comp.

3. paenguin thread starter macrumors member

paenguin

just turn on the battery section of istat. :D
    thanks! will drop by again later this week.. or next..

4. MacBookJoePro macrumors regular

Look at the actual number of cycles in the "about this mac" settings. Just go the the apple at the top left, then go to about this mac, then more info then select power. Towards teh bottom it should say cycle count. Mine currently says 2 and I got my Peryn MBP yesterday.

I've been to my apple store 3 times already also, and each of those times i've had to replace my MBP. Too many issues. I'm actually going back a 4th time cuz now my 'v' key doesn't work all the time.

-JoE

5. paenguin thread starter macrumors member

paenguin

it does say 7 :(
    you suggest me returning it?

6. danslatts macrumors newbie

I would if it was a huge deal to you... Personally, I wouldn't. When you think about it, 7 cycles isn't a big number at all. It's what? a weeks worth of use?

7. paenguin thread starter macrumors member

paenguin

so a week is not comparable to a few hours in terms of battery life?
    i just opened the box 3 hours ago.

8. MacBookJoePro macrumors regular

Its totally up to you. If you feel that the laptop isn't considered new, then return it BUT you might have some problems with the employees. How do they know that you didn't just do a full charge on the MBP 7 times (even though seems unlikely). The good thing is that its only the battery, if it goes bad within a year its easily replaceable and it doesn't really effect performance.

If your happy with your MBP then keep it, it might not be worth the "possible" disagreement with apple employees.

-JoE

9. benlangdon macrumors 65832

benlangdon

i see it in istat pro, which i just downloaded and like alot.
    but in istat nonpro i dont see it.

(am i blind?)

i was trying to take a pic (APPLE SHIFT #3)
    but its not uploading to bucket so ...

10. paenguin thread starter macrumors member

paenguin

come to think of it.
    this is my first mac (even my first computer) so i am probably just a bit meticulous about it. what should i be really looking into?

11. MacBookJoePro macrumors regular

Hmm.. Some of the things I checked when I got my MBP is for dead pixels. Then I check to see if the backlight comes on evenly ie. no dark areas (I love how bright it is).

As you start to you use your laptop normally you may find other things. I wouldn't worry too much about finding things wrong with your MBP. Just enjoy it as much as you can. If you do happen to run into a problem then schedule an appointment with apple and talk to a genius about it. Since your within 14 days, if anything is wrong (or out of the ordinary like your charge cycle) then they will be more than happy to help you.

-JoE

If you can schedule an appointment with apple regarding your charge cycle you can let them know and see what they say about it. At least you can get some resolution on it.

12. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

I got the first SR MBP and I'm at 143 cycles now, the battery life is still as good as new, so don't worry