NEW MBP Battery

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bigdb11, Dec 8, 2008.

1. bigdb11 macrumors regular

I woke up this morning, turned my comp on and the battery charge said 97% even though my comp was shutdown and I have not unplugged from the wall outlet. Also, the charge is still not going above 97%. What should I do? Comp is less than a week old?

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

That's normal. The battery will slowly lose charge over time (even while plugged in) and won't begin to recharge until it's lost more than a few percent.

3. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

not worry about it. or use it on battery power once in a while.

4. bigdb11 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. Just wanted to check. Also, if I stick my ear to the left speaking I hear a whirring noise, sometimes a little high pitched. Is this where the hard drive is?

5. evanxlee macrumors newbie

1. your battery probably needs to be conditioned. make sure you are taking it all the way down to 1%, and charging it all the way back up before you remove it from the charger (whenever possible). this is how you get the best life out of it. to be losing percentages at this point is a bit unreal; my 4 year old powerbook still goes to 99 or 100, and has only lost about 5 mins of real-time battery usage over the years. Then again, i've always used the aforementioned method.

2. the whirring noise is probably nothing to worry about, especially if it's very high pitched and only audible when you have your ear on the grill. contrary to popular belief, computers do in fact make noise! as long as its not a grinding or hissing, and your machine is running fine you're probably okay.

6. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Battery doesn't charge until it drops below 95% if I remember correctly.