New MBP Beachballing randomly for no reason...?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by omizzle, Mar 21, 2010.

1. omizzle macrumors regular

Hi all,

I have a uMBP that I got in September 09 (which replaced a defective one), but I am having a few really annoying issues with it.

The biggest thing is that it randomly beachballs for extended periods of time (1 min+) for no reason and I usually have to Force Quit the program (it has happened with Safari, Oovoo, Firefox, Garageband, and maybe more). Like I said, it happens randomly and is hard to predict.

That being said, I called Apple and a nice tech walked me through some fixes, but they ultimately didnt fix the issue. He said my next step would be to take it to an Apple Store and have a genius look at it.

So when I make an appointment with a genius, what are they going to do? How long does an appointment usually take? Also, how am I going to replicate the problem/prove that I am not making it up? This is an issue that I have had since I got the machine, but now I am out of patience.

Also, I have had a red stuck pixel since I took the computer out of the box, which is also a growing annoyance....

I am quite busy with school, so I cant afford to not have a computer for very long. Also, the Apple Store is about an hour away from where I live.

Any advice on how I should approach this? This is my first mac, so Im not sure what to expect as far as getting this taken care of.

Thanks

2. Surely Guest

Surely

Back your hard drive up, and make sure that you're on time. If you miss your appointment time and they're busy, you'll have to reschedule for another time and drive back.

The appointment will last as long as the "genius" needs in order to diagnose the problem. I would guess that he/she will run a diagnostics test on it to see what is going on with your OS.