New MBP: Become a first adopter or wait?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by guspasho, May 15, 2012.

  1. guspasho, May 15, 2012
    Last edited: May 15, 2012

    guspasho macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2011
    #1
    I want to get the rumored new MBP right away, and it will be my first Apple computer since the Macintosh Classic. But there's a lot of new stuff supposedly in this system. Ivy Bridge, retina display, nVidia graphics, more powerful battery. I also remember hearing there was a problem with some early batches of the last MBPs that used nVidia. So I'm curious whether you think Apple's releases are pretty solid or whether there is some wisdom in holding back and waiting a few months before purchasing a system?

    Thanks!
     
  2. Liquinn Suspended

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2011
    #2
    I bought one last week and couldn't be happier. Since these laptops have hi-resale value, you could buy now and sell your machine at a small loss if you must have the latest and greatest which is what I'm going to be doing.

    If you need it buy now, the current machines are great.
     
  3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

    dukebound85

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2005
    Location:
    5045 feet above sea level
    #3
    I think that is bad advice when a launch is in a few weeks

    May as well wait and at least get a discount on the current machines if you want the current gen

    Those that truly need a computer don't come asking if they should wait lol
     
  4. Liquinn Suspended

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2011
    #4
    Well true, though I know I can sell my 13" MBP at a very small loss and upgrade to the latest and greatest; or worst case; you wait and you do not like the re-design (which may have problems) and you can get the late 2011" mbp at a discount.

    OP: What do you intend doing with the machine?
     
  5. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Mar 18, 2010
    #5
    Speaking of the possible design changes including retina display, you will still be an early adopter even if you wait a few months. You'll have to wait an entire generation before you'll no longer be an early adopter.

    I personally wouldn't buy a first-gen retina MBP. Too many unknowns about performance, usability and price. I'd be waiting to see how they panned out.

    That said, wait until the new batch are released. If they are retina, you can buy a 2011 model at a good discount. If they aren't retina or redesigned, you can scoop one up without fear of being an early adopter.
     
  6. Blu-Ray macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Aug 12, 2008
    Location:
    Colorado
    #6
    He is not asking about buying the current one now... he is asking about waiting a few months until after the launch of the new ones so that issues can be ironed out of the launch batch.

    As far as your advice, the current machines are great but buying a few weeks before launch is a big mistake unless of course you NEED it now.

    To the OP, I'm in the same boat as you. :confused:
     
  7. srxtr macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2010
  8. calvol macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 3, 2011
    #8
    I agree, would wait a few weeks and read customer reviews. Main thing to watch for is battery life and heat with rumored retina display, and the quality of the display itself. iPad3 is running hot and has shorter battery life with retina display.
     
  9. 88 King macrumors 6502

    88 King

    Joined:
    Jun 18, 2011
    Location:
    London, UK
    #9
    I would also wait for a month after release for reviews and users feedback. It is not going to be like IOS devices where there will be long line at launch day and short supply of devices.
     
  10. jackc macrumors 65816

    jackc

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2003
    #10
    Prediction: You'll have people complaining on the forums about the downfall of quality control at Apple, and how you should never buy the 1st revision, but any problems will still make up a tiny percentage of machines.
     
  11. psykick5 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 4, 2011
    #11
    I'm taking the change and first day buying it. I'll take my chances.
     
  12. Xcallibur macrumors 6502a

    Xcallibur

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2011
    Location:
    Manchester
    #12
    I too am a little hesitant upon buying the first revision of the new model, but I'll probably try it out in store on the day of release, decide if its worth buying and wait a day or two for any possible problems arising for first time buyers.
     
  13. iFanboy Guest

    #13
    What will that achieve? The manufacturing process won't be changed after such a short time. The same process using the same components will be used for months at least.
     
  14. pposthoorn macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 16, 2012
    Location:
    The Netherlands
    #14
    Get is straight away!

    I know what I'm gonna do: order it right after the keynote. I did it with my current MBP (15" mid 2009) and it worked flawless ever since. Even though it's not comparable, I bought the iPhone 4S and new iPad the day they came out and there too: no regrets.

    Apple makes top notch products (something you can expect at those price points). And in the incidental case something is not as it should be with your Macbook (which might as well happen when you buy it a few months later) you always have you guarantee and can buy Apple Care the first year you own it.

    So my advice: If you want to buy one, get it asap when it is released ;)
     
  15. guspasho thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2011
    #15
    The biggest and most obvious flaws will be flushed out in the first few weeks. Can anyone tell me how long it took to discover/address the big problem with the last nVidia MacBooks, the one that Apple offered free replacements for?

    It would suck to buy one on launch day and then find it has a really huge issue that takes Apple months to resolve because, as you said, it takes them a while to alter the manufacturing process.

    Thanks, all. Waiting a week or two before making a final decision sounds like the best policy. If there is a big problem a la the new iPad heat issue, I can then buy the late 2011 MBP for a discount, though the retina display is really tempting.

    I am concerned about the retina/battery/heat problem, but I'd be surprised if Apple a) hasn't addressed it, and b) manages to port it to the MacBook Pro, which is a much larger device.

    ----------

    I also bought the 4S on launch day and I am really happy with it. But I'm curious, don't the new iPad's heating/charging issue(s) bother you?
     
  16. Xcallibur macrumors 6502a

    Xcallibur

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2011
    Location:
    Manchester
    #16
    I suppose you could look at it this way...if you have waited months for the new product anyway, whats a few more weeks of waiting going to do for a product which is going to last years anyway.
     
  17. jjfcpa macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2009
    #17
    I've always been an early adopter. I guess I just like new technology and staying on the cutting edge. There have been very few times - especially when it comes to Apple's products - that being an early adopter caused any significant problems.

    I've been using a MBA for the last few months because I just love the reduced weight and size. It really cramps my style since I really need more RAM - at least 8 gig for what I do, but I would gladly trade the RAM for less weight, SSD, and smaller size.

    So the new MBP is just what I've been waiting for. More RAM, SSD, and less weight. How can I go wrong? I order one the day it's released.
     
  18. srxtr macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2010
    #18
    For reviews and people discovering stuff like antennagate.
     
  19. GrassHoppa10 macrumors member

    Joined:
    May 8, 2009
    #19
    I guess everyone has their logic and preferences.

    I bought just last week a MBP 15 2.4 i7 QC with 750GB 7200RPM and HD screen (no AG). Ordered 16GB memory from crucial and will do SSD later on. I don't want the new machine. I like current form factor and reliability of design. I don't want to get burned with NVidia issues, Screen QC issues, or length of time on battery issues. This is the 4th MAC in our home, and will use it to its fullest.

    I can return it, but I won't. I prefer firewire also. The HD screen is perfect for my needs.
     
  20. pposthoorn macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 16, 2012
    Location:
    The Netherlands
    #20
    [offtopic]
    Not once was I bothered with too much heat coming from my iPad 3. And I do use it intensively while charging.
    Only thing that bothers me is people (who don't own a new iPad) asking me if I experience any issues with it :p
    [/offtopic]

    I might add that when I ordered my current MBP in june 2009 it took 2 weeks before it got delivered because I wanted a USA layout keyboard (I'm from The Netherlands where by default they put a very small and high Enter on the keyboard). So I would have some time to cancel the order might there be reason for that. But since I have been waiting for a new Macbook for months I probably won't ;)
     
  21. theSeb macrumors 604

    theSeb

    Joined:
    Aug 10, 2010
    Location:
    Poole, England
    #21
    It's not the actual retina display that is at fault. It's the beefed-up quad core GPU in the new iPad®. Hopefully they can keep the GPU cool in the MBP.
     
  22. salmoally macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 26, 2012
    #22
    Man can you stop telling people that awful advice. It's less than a month to WWDC, the only advice any sane person would be giving is to WAIT.

    If I followed your advice I buy a 2011 MBP for £999. Wait a few days for delivery. Use it for 2 weeks maybe less if I want to sell it before new ones come out. In London you can pick up a second hand 2011 MBP for £700. Then add postage cost of about £20 and ebay fees if you sell so that's another £70 gone.

    So following your advice I just lost around £400 and a ton of time mucking about buying, setting up, selling for not waiting a few weeks. Dumb as hell.
     
  23. calvol macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 3, 2011
    #23
    It's actually the LOAD that the retina display puts on the GPU-- more pixels, more electrons needed! :)
     
  24. psykick5 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 4, 2011
    #24
    God I hope this isn't NVIDIAcrappygfxcard-gate all over again.
     
  25. Doc69 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Dec 21, 2005
    #25
    I wouldn't worry the least about buying a first generation Apple product, even on launch day. Apple has phenomenal customer service. If something doesn't work properly, they'll fix it or switch it out. So the only thing you're really risking, is possibly putting in some time to go back and forth to the Apple store if there's something wrong with your computer.

    Also, for compete peace of mind, buy Apple care. Then you're protected for another two years (for a total of 3 years). This is a good idea for laptops in general.

    For me, I'm buying the new MBP immediately when they're released. I can't wait! :)
     

Share This Page