New MBP - Best way to care for battery?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by keithos27, Mar 13, 2008.

1. keithos27 macrumors regular

Not sure if this is necessary anymore, but I am receiving my new MBP in the mail later today. What is the best way to care for the battery? Should I plug the MBP into the wall for an amount of time before turning it on, or at least wait until it is fully charged before turning it on for the first time? Is anything like that even necessary anymore?

Thanks,
    Keith

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

3. ucsdmac macrumors 6502

ucsdmac

" Apple does not recommend leaving your portable plugged in all the time. An ideal use would be a commuter who uses her MacBook Pro on the train, then plugs it in at the office to charge. "
    - good to know. Ive been having mine plugged in because i didnt want to increase the charge cycles.

4. MacBookJoePro macrumors regular

:eek: where does it say that? I have my MBP plugged in most hours of the day. oh well, if the battery goes bad fast, then thats why there is applecare. unless it fails after the first year :(.

-JoE

5. Hemoo macrumors member

Is it better to just unplug the battery if I were in my room or it is the same in term of maintain the battery health?

6. ucsdmac macrumors 6502

ucsdmac

From the link by the poster above.

"Standard Maintenance
    For proper maintenance of a lithium-based battery, it’s important to keep the electrons in it moving occasionally. Apple does not recommend leaving your portable plugged in all the time. An ideal use would be a commuter who uses her MacBook Pro on the train, then plugs it in at the office to charge. This keeps the battery juices flowing. If on the other hand, you use a desktop computer at work, and save a notebook for infrequent travel, Apple recommends charging and discharging its battery at least once per month. Need a reminder? Add an event to your desktop’s iCal."