New MBP - Better Civ 5 Performance?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cobalt79, Feb 23, 2011.

1. cobalt79 macrumors member

I bought a MBP last Spring -- my first. I was a Windows guy my whole life. After a lousy Dell, wanted something with better build quality and some of the proprietary Apple software. I also loved the idea of running dual OS's.

I am a fairly critical person, so without belaboring the point, I felt that the Apple hype did not live up to the price tag! I felt this way most of all when my top-end MBP could not handle Civ 5. While Civ games have come a long way in terms of graphics requirements, it's certainly not on a par with some of the first person shooters out there. (I also think MS Office for Mac is complete crap, but that's a story for another day!)

Here is my question -- will the new MBP be able to play Civ 5 on average settings? I'm not much of a gamer, but I really think that the top of the line laptop that cost over $3,000 should play Civ 5. That's just a fact! If you disagree, I have a bridge for sale...

2. aiqw9182 macrumors 65816

Are you referring to the 13", 15" or 17"?

We really don't know the complete final specs of any of them yet. It would be better to ask this question tomorrow.

3. cobalt79 thread starter macrumors member

I've got a maxed out Spring 2010 15" MBP (with 256 GB SSD)

Just wondering if its worth selling my MBP and buying the new one (if I can do so without a major loss on sale). I don't think its really worth it to buy a new MBP just to play Civ 5 -- but if my wife might need a new laptop soon so I might give it a shot.

I'm also a bit gunshy about buying Apple products right off the line since the iPhone 4. I think I am now in the "Must wait 3-6 months"-before-adopting. Not necessarily just for Apple products, but Apple is now on the list. So is Panasonic Plasma TV's for that matter.

4. aiqw9182 macrumors 65816

We don't know what GPU Apple plans on using for the 15" or 17" but chances are it will be either a 525M from NVIDIA (small improvement over the current 330M) or a 6830M from AMD (huge improvement over the current 330M). Check back tomorrow.

5. darkeartg macrumors regular

dude, you could play civ 5 on high setting, which is what i have been doing. Not max res though, but civ 5 graphics really aren't that great so you should be fine. I'm playing through bootcamp and it runs great

6. retrorichie macrumors member

Civ 5 runs like garbage on my late 2008. I should give bootcamp a whirl and see how that works out.

7. cobalt79 thread starter macrumors member

I've run it under Win 7 via Boot Camp and OS

I think it runs better in Boot Camp. I haven't messed around with the resolution all that much. I'll give it a shot.

What do you set the res for?

8. darkeartg macrumors regular

don't get me wrong though, I don't really have a reference point when it comes to comparing how it runs but to me it runs great. You still have to "wait" your turn though...

9. darkeartg macrumors regular

let me get back to you on that, i'll check now. i just need to restart my computer

10. darkeartg macrumors regular

that's strange, it says i'm running on 1680 but i'm sure i turned it down last time, Try 1280x800

11. chiodo macrumors newbie

My top of the line new $2200 thinkpad W510 I7 Quad 820 1.73, Nvidia graphics card, 8 GB of ram and SSD. Could not handle Civ 5.

Then I downloaded the newest patch for Civ 5 and the game played a little better. I think the game was coded poorly.

12. cobalt79 thread starter macrumors member

Not sure what hardware you have there, but top dollar should bring top performance. Civ 5 isn't that intensive. I think it should run fine on a top flight machine -- esp overpriced/underspec'd macs.

13. chiodo macrumors newbie

MBPs are overpriced for there specs (this is well known). They are not built to be a gaming machine.

I posted my specs and this computer is "top of the line". This computer is much better than a MBP spec wise. Right now this thinkpad W510 is 2200$ new (top dollar?)

Civ 5 is not that "intensive" but it is seems to be poorly coded. Did you try downloading the patch for the game? It seemed to improve the frame rate. The game still ran sluggish at max settings.