New MBP: Better, the same or worse

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Cave Man, Oct 14, 2008.

?

New MBP: Better, the same or worse than previous gen?

Poll closed Oct 14, 2009.
  1. Better

24 vote(s)
    32.4%
  2. The same

12 vote(s)
    16.2%
  3. Worse

38 vote(s)
    51.4%
  1. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

OK, let the polling begin. Do you think the new MBP is better, worse or the same as the previous generation?

2. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

until i play with one to convince me otherwise?

WORSE

3. Cave Man thread starter macrumors 604

Cave Man

4. ZachSB macrumors newbie

The graphics are much better. I just don't understand why they went only glossy. Other than the graphics, I don't see all aluminum, and multi-touch a reason to buy it. The glossy = Grr.

5. hellfire88 macrumors 6502

I voted worse, but they said it'll "be in stores tomorrow" so I'll go check it out in person. I don't like how its bigger in footprint (except for thinness, but just 0.05") and a tiny bit heavier (5.5lbs versus 5.4lbs, I was hoping it'd decrease in weight to like 5lbs or something).

6. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

No, they aren't. The graphics are exactly the same.

7. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Nothing professional about the Macbook Pro fifteen inch model.

8. xstorm101 macrumors newbie

Pro = Professional. And for what ? well, for things like Final Cut Pro or Aperture. And what are these ? Oh, they are GRAPHICS ORIENTED APPLICATIONS. It's about the VISUAL ASPECT. So, then Apple, why use glossy when all professional graphics people know that IT IS BAD FOR GRAPHICS WORK ??!!?:mad:

9. judgemental macrumors newbie

I think they look pretty cool. But yikes! They aint cheap.

10. gusious macrumors 65816

gusious

Well, i will say better but in a scale from 1 to 10 i would give 6.

11. ManWithhat macrumors regular

Wait . . you're using the MBP's screen as a professional? Let me rephrase. You call yourself a professional? I'm confused.

There are very few laptop screens that are worthy of professional graphics works. The Macbook / Pro line has never had one. Glossy doesn't change that.

12. soms macrumors 6502

soms

Way beyond worse. There is no pro model anymore. Think about it. They look the same, there is no more matte display. Pros will never buy them now, and people who wanted to have something to set themselves apart will not either. Heck even people who wanted matte displays won't have a laptop to buy.

Why does Apple think regular consumers will be look at two identical laptops and choose the more expensive one that looks the same? Its seriously some of the worst marketing I've ever seen.

13. Phenobarbital4U macrumors newbie

seeing as there is like little difference between the MB and MBP 15 inch now, im gonna have to say worse

14. Cave Man thread starter macrumors 604

Cave Man

You obviously don't do any field work where you have no choice but to use a laptop. :rolleyes:

15. xstorm101 macrumors newbie

There are indeed few laptops with good graphics screens, but most laptops use TN panels, which are not well suited for graphics, BUT in a lot of cases sometimes you do have to use a laptop, so might as well have something that almost works, not something that distorts colors even further.

16. tbae12 macrumors member

I would say that the new generation of MBPs are definitely better than the previous. But it's not good enough to upgrade to if you own the previous generation.

17. Diseal3 macrumors 65816

18. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

Oh, but if you were a real Pro you'd fly in your helicopter to your remote studio where you'd do it on your desktop!
    :D

(I've been sick of people making excuses for Apple's pro/non-pro nomenclature for over a DECADE now...it's like, it's just a label...and on the flip side, yes, people do use them for work)