New MBP Blue Static Screen w/ cursor - Applecare already replaced computer once!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BlueWater84, Jul 13, 2010.

1. BlueWater84 macrumors newbie

I received my new 15.4" MacBook Pro Intel Core i5 2.53GHz, 8GB RAM, 256GB Solid State Drive, Hi-Res Antiglare Widescreen Display on 5/26/10. I migrated all my data/programs via Time Machine from my older MBP and was loving how fast the new machine is. On May 30th my my computer booted to a page of blue static and the cursor. Upon taking the computer back to the apple store they told me they would just order me a new machine. I was a happy Apple customer at this point.

So I received my new machine on 6/11 and once again ran migration assistant to move all of my data over to the new machine. Just a few days later on 6/18 the computer experienced the exact same problem as the first one booting to a page of blue static and the cursor. One thing I did find a little odd was that the computer would boot in safe mode (something I had not tried the first time), however it always would boot back to the blue static page on a normal boot. So I took the computer back to the apple store on 6/18.

So now almost a full month later I am still waiting to get back my machine! I have called my local store multiple times now and they never call me back with an update on my machine like they say they will. They have apparently once again ordered me a brand new laptop which I imagine is going to eventually have the exact same problem as the last two I have gotten.

Can anyone offer some advise as to what I should do?

TLDR: Apple replaced my machine once then I experienced the same problem on the new laptop. I am now going on 4 weeks of not having my computer that I paid over $3000 for and no longer a happy Apple Customer.

2. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

obviously its a problem with the migrated data,

dont use migration assistant, manually move what you need over.

3. BlueWater84 thread starter macrumors newbie

I mentioned that to the genius helping me and he was very adamant it was a hardware issue.

4. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

Well are you going to mess up another one? Or just move the data manually?

Sounds like this issue could have been easily fixed, if you had tried to reinstall OS X.

5. BlueWater84 thread starter macrumors newbie

The computer would not boot from a known good copy of OSX on the Genius's external drive.

6. Fatal1ty macrumors newbie

I have this exact problem, do you know what I should do? I have an i7 MBP AG, and I'm about 2 hours from the closest Apple Store, and I'm a student so I need my mac pretty much every day. Is there any inhouse solution you could recommend? Thanks?

7. treblemaker macrumors newbie

Subsequently, and also here and here. Everybody's collective troubleshooting seems to be pointing to a problem with the automatic graphics switching. Hooking up an external display seems to be one way to get the system to boot without doing the static thing; another is doing a Safe Boot and changing the setting of System Preferences > Energy Saver > Automatic Graphics Switching (my girlfriend got hers to boot untethered again by unchecking that box; other people seem to be suggesting they experience the blue screen/static issue more when they turn this setting off, but that's not what we've seen here).