New MBP, bluetooth mouse jumpy when Airport activity high (interference issues)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zakatov, Jul 1, 2008.

1. zakatov macrumors 6502a

zakatov

OK, so I got a brand new $2500 15' MBP and hooked it up to a bluetooth mighty mouse. Here's the problem: when Airport is transferring data, the BT mouse get erratic and jumpy, and the faster the transfer, the worse the problem (ie: almost imperceptible when downloading at max speed over DSL (~500KB/sec), close to unusable when Time Machine's backing up to the AE base station (~2MB/sec)).

Few Questions:

-Could this have something to do with the fact that I'm running the MBP in clamshell mode with an external screen and keyboard (wired)?
    -Where are the antennas located?
    -Is this a software or a hardware issue and is it worth talking to AppleCare about?

PS: enabling Interfering Robustness alleviates the problem somewhat, but it cuts my wireless backup speeds down to a third, so I'd rather avoid using this as a permanent solution.

2. msprouls macrumors member

msprouls

Have you tried changing channels on your Access Point?

3. zakatov thread starter macrumors 6502a

zakatov

It's actually set on Automatic and every time I check, it's using a different channel. Since Time Machine backs up every hour, I would've noticed if a different channel alleviated the problem, but so far, it's about the same level of interference every time. But it's a good suggestion, so when I have some time to kill, I might just go thru every channel manually and see if there's one that hasn't been used yet that might do something.

4. Chrysaor macrumors 6502

I had a similar issue, wireless performed very poor when my Logitech BT mouse was in use, changing the channels didn't work but enabling Bluetooth Coexistence Mode in DD-WRT v24 fixed the issue. Don't know if it exists in your router.

5. zakatov thread starter macrumors 6502a

zakatov

No, it's the AE Base Station (latest one w/ latest firmware)

6. psylens macrumors newbie

Could be the antenna(s)

I am having similar issues with my plain ol' MacBook. I have a very similar setup: it's in clamshell mode with external screen. I'm using the mighty mouse BT and the BT wireless keyboard. Time Machine is backing up wirelessly to a USB drive over the AEBS. I think you're onto something with the antenna locations. I would try moving it a little bit at a time - try different angles. When you posed the question about the antennas, i looked at mine and noticed some stuff on it (beer bottle, double CD case, Carmex). I removed the 3 items from the top of it and voila - it's much better now (maybe not 100%). This suggests to me there was some interference there. If you've used bluetooth headsets, TV antennas, radio antennas, etc then you probably know how wireless stuff can be pretty finicky about angles and things nearby or in the way.

This may not be of use to you; you may have already found a solution, or maybe you've already tried positioning your MBP... but i thought i'd chime in just in case.

good luck,
    .psy