Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rmafive

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 25, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
Hey guys, I just bought a new unibody macbook pro!!! I also purchased a copy of Windows vista Home Premium 64 bit OEM. Online it says this disk is supported so I figured it would work fine with Boot Camp. Then I stuck the disk into my new MBP and it makes a screeching sound, and after a minute it shoots the disk out?? I put it in another computer, and it is read and works fine. I don't believe my disk drive is broken, since I have already used it to install applications. If anyone knows how to fix this problem please help!! :D

DYER

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2008
London, UK
I believe your macbook pro is allergic to vista 64 bit with snow leopard coming :D

On a more serious note I couldnt get my OEM copy of vista to work either 32bit tho. It happily installed XP Pro SP2 though so I am just using that.
Any answers anyone?

shoopaman

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2008
Hey guys, I just bought a new unibody macbook pro!!! I also purchased a copy of Windows vista Home Premium 64 bit OEM. Online it says this disk is supported so I figured it would work fine with Boot Camp. Then I stuck the disk into my new MBP and it makes a screeching sound, and after a minute it shoots the disk out?? I put it in another computer, and it is read and works fine. I don't believe my disk drive is broken, since I have already used it to install applications. If anyone knows how to fix this problem please help!! :D

bootcamp only works with 32bit window and sp2 or above

eba

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2007
bootcamp only works with 32bit window and sp2 or above

That's incorrect. I'm running 64-bit Vista on my MBP. Installed it via Boot Camp in the normal manner.

The problem may be the thickness of the Vista disk. Seriously. The Windows install discs have a heavy holographic watermark on the surface as an anti-pirating measure, and I've had situations where the disk is too thick to fit into the slot-loading drive in some Macs. In my cases, the disk would fit but Finder wouldn't recognize it, and when I listened closer, I realized the disc wasn't even spinning. In this case, it sounds like the disk tried to spin, made a grinding noise and then spat out.

So my vote is thickness of the disk. Search on Google and you'll find reports of other folks having the same problem with slot-loading drives.

shoopaman

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2008
That's incorrect. I'm running 64-bit Vista on my MBP. Installed it via Boot Camp in the normal manner.

The problem may be the thickness of the Vista disk. Seriously. The Windows install discs have a heavy holographic watermark on the surface as an anti-pirating measure, and I've had situations where the disk is too thick to fit into the slot-loading drive in some Macs. In my cases, the disk would fit but Finder wouldn't recognize it, and when I listened closer, I realized the disc wasn't even spinning. In this case, it sounds like the disk tried to spin, made a grinding noise and then spat out.

So my vote is thickness of the disk. Search on Google and you'll find reports of other folks having the same problem with slot-loading drives.

it wouldn't be the last time comps being able to do more than what's on paper... i think i was going off of by what it stated during installation or instructions... it's great that it can do more~

jgo78

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2008
i thought i heard it doesn't work with OEM copies for some reason. I could be wrong.

neilhart

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2007
SF Bay Area - Fremont

This sounds like the problem. On a PC with a tray loading DVD RW drive, use a program like Nero to make a copy of the Vista DVD and use the copy for the install.

Neil.

Rmafive

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 25, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
I was able to successfully fix the problem by using Toast 6 to make a copy of the disk, and load it off of a thinner disk! Thanks for all the help.

-Rmafive

cg165

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

jgo78 said:
i thought i heard it doesn't work with OEM copies for some reason. I could be wrong.

that isn't true, I installed vista ultimate 64 bit on my unibody mbp and it was on OEM. I had no problems installing via bootcamp.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.