New MBP- Bootcamp Vista 64

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Empyre, Oct 18, 2008.

1. Empyre macrumors member

Hello all

I'm sure that windows is a touchy subject around here :eek: but, I was wondering if Vista home premium 64 bit works with bootcamp for the new MBPs. And if it DOES work, is it even recommended that: 1. I even run vista (versus XP) and 2. If it will work well overall

I intend on using the Vista to play a few windows games mainly :cool:

Everyone's input is greatly appreciated!

Thanks

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Vista x64 is very stable and fast. I would say that's a good choice and it should run with no issues. I should remind you that some hardware do not have drivers for 64-bit Windows, so explore that before you do the installation.

I would definitely recommend Vista over XP. Sure a lot people love XP (as do I), but I use Vista and if you want DirectX 10, you need Vista.

3. cg165 macrumors regular

Hello, good question! I ordered a new MBP and also purchased Vista Ultimate 64 bit OEM from newegg. I've read good things about vista using 64 bit as long as you have more than 3gb of RAM in your system. I really can't verify how well it will run since I haven't received my computer yet, but I'm expecting no problems and I also plan on running games on it.

I'll post back when I finally get to play. To be honest it might be a little while because I'm pretty clueless on how to use the OS haha. I'll have to figure out OSX and Vista, but it's my opinion that if you get a new machine, why put an old OS on there? Soon (next year) Vista and Leopard will be outdated by Windows 7 and Snow Leopard. I don't see a point in buying XP at this point either so you might as well spend it on the newest operating system....

Hope I helped in some way! :D
    P.S. People already run Vista on their old MBP's so I wouldn't worry about it working in general. It should run great with 4gb ram, the rest of the hardware is more than enough to run it.

4. dgdosen macrumors 65816

dgdosen

If someone does BC into Vista - please report back here with the "User Experience" performance score please... Thanks!

5. TheCakeIsALie macrumors regular

I'd like to know too, the specs of the new MB/MBP and vista experience index score. thx!

6. Empyre thread starter macrumors member

I run vista 64 on my Desktop PC and it works like a champion and would just like to have it running on my MBP as well for when I dont have access to my Desktop. I am going to order me a copy of Vista 64 on Newegg right now then and get all this money spending over with!! Thank you for the responses!

7. akashhhhh macrumors member

Stock 2.53 unit running Vista 32-bit:

Overall: 5.2
    Processor: 5.4
    Graphics: 5.9
    Gaming Graphics: 5.5
    HDD: 5.2

Bear in mind, that this is only utilizing 3GB ram under the 32-bit limitations.

More anecdotally, BLAZES through Vista. No problems at all.

8. Empyre thread starter macrumors member

Thanks a lot for this information, I am also running a stock 2.53GHz MBP. If anybody does run 64 bit please do let me know. It occurred to me that I have the 64 bit install CD with me and that all I need to do at this juncture is purchase a license for it! Although it may actually be cheaper to just buy it off Newegg.com? I haven't really looked a whole lot into the endeavor quite yet

9. rmhainlen macrumors newbie

I have been working on a friend's new mbp for the last couple of hours. He just bought it yesterday and bought vista ultimate as well.
    I boot camp'ed x64bit on it first and had no issues. It actually worked quite well. He isn't very computer savvy and so I took it off since there might be issues when he goes to download more software....issues such as finding boot camp compatible software and x64bit compatible software.

So, install 32bit vista ultimate, no problems, right?
    It would have been nice if there were no problems because I would have been done about 3 hours ago.
    (vista issues, the os x works fine of course :D )
    The only issue we have is that the fn keys got locked on. Once this happened, you could use any of the function keys that you wanted without pushing the fn button. So, when I went to right click (the 2 finger thing doesn't work either) using "shift+f10" I would mute and unmute the speakers since the function keys are locked on. Since this computer is so new, there are really no solutions for problems out yet. So, hopefully a re-install of the 32bit will solve the problem, if not, its back to x64bit. (anyone know of a flash player that works with 64bit? ;) )

10. akashhhhh macrumors member

I had 0 problems with the install, even though I had to do a tricky install because I was using an upgrade copy of Vista rather than a full version.

Also, for your fn key problem, there is an option in Boot Camp menu (should be in your system tray and in control panel) that lets you switch that between defaulting to Mac hardware functions and normal f1-f12 use. :)

11. Empyre thread starter macrumors member

Deviating slightly from what you fellows are talking about but does anyone know how much it costs to call up microsoft and just purchase a license, nothing more? Because if I can get a straight up license for $100 I'll do that before I order from newegg because I already have a vista 64 install disc. I've been trying to google it, and go through microsoft's website but I cant find anything :confused:

12. akashhhhh macrumors member

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-vista/get/anytime-upgrade-overview.aspx

13. Empyre thread starter macrumors member

I went to the link but thats only an upgrade, not a full version license. I am not upgrading, I require a full install....Like I said, I have the actual install disc but I need a license.....Would an upgrade license work? I dont want to purchase it and then be S.O.L when I try to activate saying that I'm trying to activate a full version and the key I have is for an upgrade :mad:

14. akashhhhh macrumors member

There's a pretty simple workaround for having an upgrade and wanting to do a full version install:

Install Vista as you normally would through Boot Camp, but DO NOT enter a serial key when it asks you. Simply say you'll add one later.

Finish the installation and once Windows is up and running, insert the upgrade disc again and start the installation form within Windows (should autorun) this time, say you are upgrading and enter the serial key and works no problem. I did this yesterday as I only had an upgrade version. Good luck.

15. Empyre thread starter macrumors member

I am lacking the "Upgrade" CD though, i only have a full version install CD, which would make it of course not an "upgrade." I think im just going to buy an OEM from newegg for $100 and not mess around with calling microsoft to buy a key and what not. I'll probably end up spending less purchasing from newegg anyways.

16. ggk macrumors newbie

I´m running Vista 64 via bootcamp in my MacPro (Last Generation) Everything works perfect. My wife uses Adobe CS3 and autocad there. We are very happy with performance and stability. No problem with drivers.

17. akashhhhh macrumors member

Dude, they are all the same CD. You get the same CD no matter what version of Vista you purchase (with the exception of 32 vs. 64 bit). All that matter is the key and what version that key will unlock.

If you already have a Vista DVD and an upgrade key, the process I outlined will work. No use wasting $100, but to each his/her own. Good luck.

18. Empyre thread starter macrumors member

Oh thats awesome then, Great work-around. I still need to purchase an additional upgrade key though from microsoft. I'm going to just do the anytime upgrade thing and get the key from it.....that should work yea? About $80 home basic to home premium

19. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

What are you doing that requires Home Premium? If you are just using the OS, Basic is fine.

20. Empyre thread starter macrumors member

Its because that is currently the install CD that I own...its for Vista 64 Bit home premium, therefore, Im guessing I have to purchase a home premium license as well.

21. damado macrumors 6502

I was going to install vista x64 on the new MBP since I have it on my 06 Mac Pro and it runs great.

The reason I went with 32 for the MBP is that I didn't know where to get all the special drivers for the 64 OS for the MBP...I have them for the MP that I had to download from the internet, but haven't seen one for the MBP. Mayhaps I'll redo it later though once a list of drivers is compiled.

22. cg165 macrumors regular

Which MBP do you have? It's my understanding that with the Penryn MBP's (and the new ones that just came out) the 64 bit drivers are actually on the leopard cd. Check it out, they should all be included unless you have an older MBP. It shouldn't be hard to locate these drivers either way though. Sorry I can't help with the location though, but if you have a penryn or a new mbp install the leopard cd and try it out.

P.S. Oops I just re-read your post and realized you said "new mbp" so that means the 64 bit drivers are already on the leopard disc :D which is good news for you. You install vista with that disc, then insert the leopard disc when it's all done and it should install the drivers.

23. Empyre thread starter macrumors member

Alright well a quick update, installed vista home premium 64 bit and its running flawlessly....No concerns quite yet, so if anyone else has been unsure about it, new MBP runs it great!

24. Dias macrumors 6502

Hi, can I ask you few questions?

If I'll buy "Home Premium to Ultimate" Upgrade from MS site, what do I get exactly? A serial code and link for DVD download?

And speaking of upgrading process:

- Install Vista without serial
    - Re-launch installation process
    - Choice Upgrade option
    - Insert your serial
    - At this point what happens? It just activate your copy based on your serial or it messing everything up starting another installation?

Thanks in advance

p.s.: btw, only 32bit version on MS site?

25. damado macrumors 6502

Thank you, I assumed they weren't there just b/c bootcamp said it needs a 32 bit version, but I'll install x64 once I get my new larger/faster HD =).