New MBP Bootcamp XP fat32 or NTFS?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by lukester, Jun 19, 2010.

1. lukester macrumors 6502

My old MBP has a 32 gig HD windows fat32 XP. The only problem I had with it is not being able to update to SP3. I kept getting an error message saying Not enough memory on HD which was nonsense and I tried to get it resolved but gave up because of the stuff you had to go through on the windows side, Microsoft.. Now I know why I have a Mac.
    Does anyone know if its because I had fat32 and it limited the file size to 4 gig and that upgrade required to make a file much larger for backup when installing that update?

So now here I am with my new MBP and need to make a Bookcamp partition and did using NTFS but haven't finished yet. I could copy over my winclone backup from my old mbp but it probably will not work since I need new drivers for the new mac.

any thoughts?

2. lukester thread starter macrumors 6502

I went ahead and made the NTFS partition and was able to update to SP3 which worked no problem something that always failed using fat32.

3. vistadude macrumors 65816

I don't know the reason why you got the memory error - That has nothing to do with the hard disk, something to do with RAM.

SP3 installed fine for me in XP. You might have just had low disk space. SP3 takes up only about 1 GB but requires more than 5 gb to decompress all the files.

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Since both RAM and HDD space are measured in GB some folks equate them. The OP clearly meant that the error was not enough space on the HDD.

Though I can't find confirmation anywhere it is very likely that SP3 requires NTFS on the boot drive just like Vista and 7 will no longer let you install to FAT32.

B