New MBP bought 11/22/09 with Leopard?

st8fan19

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 10, 2009
Michigan
So my mom just bought a new 13" MBP yesterday, and as I was helping her set it up I noticed that it is still running 10.5.8. I thought that all new MBP were supposed to come preinstalled with 10.6 Snow Leopard.

Any ideas why this happened? or if I should talk to apple about it?

Thanks

tcphoto

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2005
Madison, GA
Contact the store, they will give you the update. Apple will usually add a sleeve containing the new operating system DVD.

melman101

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2009
Wow, I can't believe they still have machines in stock that haven't been upgraded to Snow Leopard. Mine was ordered online, BTO, so I guess thats why I got SL with mine.

macfrik

macrumors 6502
Mar 21, 2009
Utah
So my mom just bought a new 13" MBP yesterday, and as I was helping her set it up I noticed that it is still running 10.5.8. I thought that all new MBP were supposed to come preinstalled with 10.6 Snow Leopard.

Thanks
Did you buy it at Apple retail or Online Store?

madog

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2004
Korova Milkbar

Thanks
If you bought it from a reseller there's not much you can do other than use the up-to-date program to get SL for $10.

The reason being is because there is no physical change or any information on the packaging that would specifically indicate a difference between a Leopard computer and a SL one. The only way (which I never thought of at first) is to check the shipping box that Apple originally sends them in to verify if the ship date was after the release of SL. However, there is a good chance that whoever you bought it from removes the computer from that shipping box, therefore making identification pretty much impossible without opening the packaging. I know my local Best Buy does this, at my old job we did as well, but we don't here until it is sold.

Also, maybe the subject wasn't brought up or the place you purchased it from never specifically said it came with SL. This is the reason the Up-to-date program ends towards the end of December (well after the actual release of SL), and Apple will likely tell you the same unless you bought it directly from them. Stores don't have an obligation to return something because you thought or assumed it would have this feature or that (I don't mean to sound harsh).

Apple didn't send anyone down to add drop-in-upgrades for our stock when SL came out, we couldn't send them back, and if we opened them we would take a loss on an open box so there isn't much incentive for a reseller to take your purchase back (but maybe Best Buy because it is such a huge business).

st8fan19

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 10, 2009
Michigan
it was bought at an apple retail store, and the snow leopard update disc was with it. i guess i am just really surprised that there are still stock machines that haven't been updated.

maybe i am overthinking this

madog

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2004
Korova Milkbar
it was bought at an apple retail store, and the snow leopard update disc was with it. i guess i am just really surprised that there are still stock machines that haven't been updated.

maybe i am overthinking this
That is a bit unusual coming from an Apple store, but then Again maybe you purchased a higher end model or a particular model that isn't sold as often or hasn't been recently and they still has some old ones lying around.

st8fan19

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 10, 2009
Michigan
That is a bit unusual coming from an Apple store, but then Again maybe you purchased a higher end model or a particular model that isn't sold as often or hasn't been recently and they still has some old ones lying around.
nope i bought the base model 13" MBP. this is why i was quite confused. i figure this is probably the most popular apple notebook, so why would she get one that isn't built with snow leopard when sl has been out for months.

duffyanneal

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2008
ATL
Ha, the same thing just happened to me. I picked up a 15" MBP last night from Bestbuy. I didn't check the serial number before taking it home. I was slightly surprised to see 10.5 installed when I booted up and no Snow Leopard upgrade disk in sight. So I went back to BB today and they exchanged me new machines. Picked up a nice week 45 (first week of Nov) that had SL preloaded.