New MBP buying advice

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ardmanz, Dec 10, 2013.

1. Ardmanz macrumors regular

Hey guys,

I've been thinking about buying a MBP since the beginning of the year but have been putting it off. Now that apple have the 0% finance off it seems like now may be the right time.

Anyway, I currently have a Windows laptop (which I will be selling if I go down the MBP route). It has an I7 sandy, 6gb RAM and a 555M dedicated GFX card.

I won't go smaller than 15".

Now, I'm looking at the difference between the base spec and high spec and for my uses I think the bump would be "nice" but isn't really needed.

My uses:

Mostly, normal laptop stuff, browsing, music etc.
    Pro tools and ableton live.
    Premier pro (very rarely, this isn't a priority).
    Light gaming (WOW, counter strike. I'll never be interested in playing the latest games with all the bells and whistles as I'm primarily a console gamer).

Now, I know it's not going to be enough of an upgrade over my old laptop to warrant the price for some but I'm really looking to switch to mac at some point so my question is this:

Will base spec handle all of those things comfortably and offer any sort of upgrade over my existing laptop baring in mind I'm not a pro user in any of those apps, it's all home use but I do do a lot of recording?

Thank you for your input.

2. Buck987 macrumors 6502a

3. Ardmanz thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the reply.

That's not really what I'm asking though.

I'm asking how well it will run the above and how much of an upgrade over my current laptop it is.

Thanks in advance.

4. lagisibuk macrumors 6502

1. you will go with 15 MBP (regular or retina)
    2. refer to number 1, go with 15 MBP default
    3. the lates MBP 15 can do this
    4. Yes, go with standard MBP

actually, price of regular MBP with Retina isnt significant... so please go with retina MBP 15 :D

if you compare with you current laptop, it will be significant from : screen display, operating system and SSD :D

5. Buck987 macrumors 6502a

You said it would be nice but not really needed. You summed it up. If you can afford it buy the "nice" extra's.

If you can't afford it you will be fine with the base model.

Good luck.

6. GSPice macrumors 68000

GSPice

7. Ardmanz thread starter macrumors regular

Great as long as it will run all those tasks comfortably I'll go for base spec. :)

8. trevpimp macrumors regular

trevpimp

your more than good bro

I got the medium model 13 inch and its great