Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Surface mount

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 18, 2006
My new (week 42) Macbook Pro C2D has less than acceptable battery life. The system profiler shows that it has a max capacity of 4612 mAh.

I recalibrated and reset the PMC. gave it a few days of normal use to see if it evened out. When it didn't, I downloaded coconut to check and see what that app said. same thing..... roughly 73% of max capacity.

Applecare said to give it a few more days of use after a third recalibrate and then they would concider a new battery.

I realize that the 5500 mAh is an acverage, but I think 4300-4600 is fare too low.

Is there any way I can get the max capacity to read 5500?

The battery is 3 weeks old.

Thanks.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Make sure you're calibrating it correctly.

Apple said:
  1. Plug in the power adapter and fully charge your PowerBook's battery until the light ring or LED on the power adapter plug changes to green and the onscreen meter in the menu bar indicates that the battery is fully charged.
  2. Allow the battery to rest in the fully charged state for at least two hours. You may use your computer during this time as long as the adapter is plugged in.
  3. Disconnect the power adapter with the computer still on and start running the computer off battery power. You may use your computer during this time. When your battery gets low, you will see the low battery warning dialog on the screen.
  4. Continue to keep your computer on until it goes to sleep. Save all your work and close all applications when the battery gets very low, before the computer goes to sleep.
  5. Turn off the computer or allow it to sleep for five hours or more.
  6. Connect the power adapter and leave it connected until the battery is fully charged again.

Also, try re-seating the battery and resetting the PMU. :)

chosenwolf

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2006
Los Angeles
Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you don't. My C2D 17" MBP battery has 6654mAH capacity and I get 4 hours of battery life with mediocre use. :)

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Yeah, but I know I calibrated the first Intel machine incorrectly because I used the old PPC technique. That's why I posted the Intel-specific method. :)

Brambo

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2006
Leiden, Holland
Mine is not as bad, but still: I've got my MBP C2D for 7 weeks. The battery capacity used to be at 5500+ mAh. Since a day or so it is dropping, and the battery won't charge beyond 96%, see picture.

Calibrating didn't help, charging overnight also didn't change anything.
I understand that the capacity of a rechargeable battery drops when used. But it seems to me the battery capacity is going down rather quick, too quick if you ask me. Any ideas on what to do?

Attachments

• Afbeelding 2.png
    Afbeelding 2.png
    88.3 KB · Views: 70
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.