New MBP. Calibrating the Battery, Other Things to Get Started

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by sxl95, Jun 25, 2007.

1. sxl95 macrumors member

I should be picking my new MacBook Pro 2.2 up from the shipping depot (since I wasn't home to sign for it) this evening.

What would you all suggest I do to get started?

Is calibrating the batter important? It looks like it takes a lot of time. Also, I plan on wiping the hard drive, and reinstalling with only the languages I want.

Any other suggestions or help?

-Sam

2. Cameront9 macrumors 6502a

Cameront9

Yes, Battery Calibration IS important and should be done the as soon as possible.

How big a hard drive did you get? IMO, the languages don't take up that much space with a 160-200 gig drive. You might just use it for a while out of the box.

3. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Calibrating the battery is actually not that important. Sure, if you want a deadly accurate reading on your iStat Pro it is important, but it is in so way vital to the health and life of your battery. If you find that a few weeks the ownership of you computer you want to calibrate it, do it. But it is not an ASAP thing. Just relax and do it whenever you have to the time to.

4. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Calibrating the battery actually doesn't calibrate the "battery". It calibrates the recharging circuitry. By doing this, it sets the levels at which the charger stops and starts charging your battery for optimum efficiency. This should be done every 30 charge cycles or so, which is why Apple recommends once per month (assuming you discharge your battery completely once per day). You don't have to do it straight away but you should do it within the next few days to make sure the circuit is charging your battery to the correct levels.

More on Lithium Ion batteries can be found here.