Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rhoydotp

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 28, 2006
I have a Lexar USB reader that I use to transfer my GoPro videos to my old iMac (2008/2012). Last night, I was trying to transfer files from the same micro SD card/USB reader to my new MBP 15" and it would not read the drive.

32gb2_2.jpg

I tried to mount on both USB slots but none works. Disk Utility doesn't show the drives as well so it's nothing to do with permissions or corruptions on the filesystem. I am sure of this because I move the card into an adapter and mounted it via the built-in card reader. I've managed to transfer files that way.

Is there anything that I need to enable/disable on the OS or a command I need to run on Terminal?

Thanks in advance

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
Well the card reader and USB slots are both connected via an internal USB hub so I'd suspect its something in the USB card reader doesn't support that card...

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
I have a Lexar USB reader that I use to transfer my GoPro videos to my old iMac (2008/2012). Last night, I was trying to transfer files from the same micro SD card/USB reader to my new MBP 15" and it would not read the drive.

32gb2_2.jpg

I tried to mount on both USB slots but none works. Disk Utility doesn't show the drives as well so it's nothing to do with permissions or corruptions on the filesystem. I am sure of this because I move the card into an adapter and mounted it via the built-in card reader. I've managed to transfer files that way.

Is there anything that I need to enable/disable on the OS or a command I need to run on Terminal?

Thanks in advance

It might be formatted in an unsupported file format like NTFS.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Things to consider:

- Card reader's control chip is compatible with older iMac, but IS NOT COMPATIBLE with the new MBPro.

- Card you were using might be incompatible format, as mentioned above.

- Card you were using might be incompatible with the combination of the card reader -AND- the new MBPro.

- Do you happen to have a DIFFERENT card reader you could try?

If you open the System Information utility, does it show the presence of the card reader when you plug it in? Even if you still can't "see" the card itself?

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
Could be a physical thing.
I've got an OLD 256MB Lexar thumbdrive that works just fine on my PC desktop but it will not be seen on my MacBook.
The light on the thumbdrive doesn't even come on which makes me think it's not going into the USB port far enough to make electrical contract or something.

rhoydotp

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 28, 2006
Well the card reader and USB slots are both connected via an internal USB hub so I'd suspect its something in the USB card reader doesn't support that card...

But I've used this very same USB card reader and this very same SD card on 2 different devices (Snow Leopard & Yosemite) and it works for both.

- Card reader's control chip is compatible with older iMac, but IS NOT COMPATIBLE with the new MBPro.
- Card you were using might be incompatible with the combination of the card reader -AND- the new MBPro.

The one I am using is fairly new and it's supposed to be USB3 with downward compatibility. But, I've seen weird things like this before so I won't be surprised if it is the case.

- Do you happen to have a DIFFERENT card reader you could try?

If you open the System Information utility, does it show the presence of the card reader when you plug it in? Even if you still can't "see" the card itself?

Thanks for the reply. I don't have a different card reader to try at the moment. I will check the System Info output later to see whether it shows up there or not.

- Card you were using might be incompatible format, as mentioned above.

As I mentioned above, I used the exact same card using an adapter from micro-SD to regular SD on the slot.
[doublepost=1468346387][/doublepost]
Could be a physical thing.
I've got an OLD 256MB Lexar thumbdrive that works just fine on my PC desktop but it will not be seen on my MacBook.
The light on the thumbdrive doesn't even come on which makes me think it's not going into the USB port far enough to make electrical contract or something.

Hmmm. That could be an issue ... stupid, imho, if it's the case.
Thanks for sharing.

JohnDS

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2015
Why not just plug the SD card directly into the built-in SD card reader on the new Mac?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.