Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bfen92

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2009
Hey everyone,

I had an original first generation MacBook Pro that just got replaced with a new 15" MBP. On the retired one on the right side where my palm rests I realized that acids from my hands had corroded the case. Does the latest generation have the same affect when exposed to my hands for a long period of time? I purchased a cover for the palm resting area however I do not want to use it as it takes away from the looks of the computer.

Thanks.

MultiFinder17

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2008
Tampa, Florida
So long as you keep the palm area clean, maybe give it a quick wipe after you use it if you're sweaty or dirty at all, it shouldn't corrode at all. My friend had that issue with his old MBP, but he didn't take overly good care of it. Meanwhile, my PowerBook is going on five years old now and shows no signs of any corrosion.

I usually give my PowerBook a quick wipedown every week or so, just a damp cloth across all parts of the case. Every month or so I'll pop the keyboard off and give it a more thorough case cleaning, and every six months or so I do a complete teardown and clean, dust, and spruce up the machine from top to bottom, inside and out. It may be a bit obsessive and over-the-top, but my PowerBook's heading into its fifth year of life wearing only small scratches and dents from a used life :)

Take care of the little bugger and it'll live a good, long life.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.