New MBP. Cheking it's a good one.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by smudged, May 23, 2008.

1. smudged macrumors member

So I got the new Penryn 2.4ghz MPB. I wanna know how to verify if the screen is good, also the battery, the drive, pretty much everything. How do I test everything is working alright and I don't need to turn it back.

I know what I'm asking is kinda stupid but I've never had a mac before and I've never seen a MBP besides the one that just arrived. Thank you.

2. johngardiner macrumors regular

haha well for the screen turn it on... make sure its working and check for dead pixels (they'll look discoloured)

the battery will take a bit more time.. make sure you calibrate it (charge it fully and keep it charged for 2+ hours, then run the laptop until it goes to sleep, then charge it fully again). After you've done that start using the laptop on battery power and see what kind of time you're getting out of it (you can change the battery symbol to show time remaining also). Hope that helps!

3. anirban macrumors 6502a

anirban

If you go looking for problems, you will find one.

So my advice- just use it, and see how it works. Major problems should be obvious within a week.

4. smudged thread starter macrumors member

Thanks!

I'm sorry but wouldn't it be smarter to look for any problems, if there's something wrong, resolve the problem, or ship back as soon as possible, than waiting to see if it has an issue?

5. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

I actually agree with him. When I got my first Mac, my iBook, I immediately turned it on and began using it. I didn't even bother to check for dead pixels or anything like that.... because it's just not a big deal.

So, basically use it for a week normally, without actually looking for anything. If you notice anything while not looking for it, then it's an issue and should be fixed.

I hope that made sense... :eek:

6. johngardiner macrumors regular

thats true if there's nothing that jumps out at you it's probably fine... but if u see a dead pixel or any other problems, take it back... youll regret it if you don't take it back now then you have to a week from now when you have all your stuff ported on to it.

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Unless your screen looks funny, your hinge creaks, or something big that is noticeable out of the box without even looking for it is there, don't bother looking for problems.