New MBP clicking issue.....

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by N3FF 3000, Jan 28, 2009.

1. N3FF 3000 macrumors newbie

Ok so I bought a new MBP not even 2 weeks ago and every time I move it around, even the slightest bit, it makes this really annoying click/ping noise. I called up Apple Support and the person I spoke with told me to assume hard drive failure and back everything up, he gave me a case number to call back if the problem persists. My question is, why the hell is my laptop, not even 2 weeks old, suffering from apparent HD failure? And what will they do for me if/when it fails? There is no way a nearly $3000 machine should crap out after not even 2 weeks...Can I take this to my local Apple Store and get it exchanged? Any info would be greatly appreciated..

2. pj- macrumors member

It's the sudden motion sensor parking the heads so they don't mess up the HDD when the laptop is moved

If you want, you could take it into the apple store and they could probably tell you if it's being too sensitive, but it sounds like it's just doing its job

3. crazyrog17 macrumors regular

SMS - Sudden Motion Sensor.

Your MacBook Pro has a sudden motion sensor so it pulls the reading head off the disk before an impact can cause scratches on it's surface.

It helps to know how a hard drive works to understand exactly why it does this.

The ping/click you hear is the head moving to it's parked position.

It shouldn't cause any performance loss because your hard drive reads ahead and stores data in cache. Perhaps you're playing a movie from the hard disk. The playing will not stop or stutter because the hard drive has already read the data to cache and will pick up where it left off after the head returns to the disk.

4. N3FF 3000 thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow, thanks for the quick replies..

So basically what your telling me is that all the new MBP's make this noise? Because my previous MBP was completely silent, thats why I got so paranoid about it. Literally every time I move the machine it makes the noise.

5. crazyrog17 macrumors regular

I don't move my computer too much, but when I do, it's not unusual to hear it.

I think the fan noise is a little more annoying. On my brother's white macbook, the fans slowly ramp up their speed so It's hard to hear it change. While watching iStat Pro, I see the speed go from 1999 RPM to 2005 RPM and it sounds like a hard drive jumping.

Tell Apple about it. It could be a software change they could make in the future.

6. N3FF 3000 thread starter macrumors newbie

Weird, I've never heard any fan noise coming from my laptop (knocks on wood)...Just the constant clicking

7. crazyrog17 macrumors regular

During the day, I sit in my quiet room so I can hear it well.

8. N3FF 3000 thread starter macrumors newbie

UPDATE! I just read a tutorial on how to turn off the SMS and to my surprise there has been no more clicking (knocks on wood again) Thanks for all the replies!

9. crazyrog17 macrumors regular

I don't want to be a debbie downer, but I wouldn't disable it. You could seriously damage your hard disk.

If it's really that troublesome to you, you should think about the benefits of it.

10. N3FF 3000 thread starter macrumors newbie

Care to elaborate? Assuming I drop it or something? Or jus by turning it off I can cause seriously damage to it?

11. ageha macrumors regular

Notebooks HDs without sensor have been around for decades. In most cases it won't make a difference.

12. procreative macrumors newbie

It will when you drop it and your Apple warranty is voided because you disabled the SMS. I bet in a couple more weeks you'll be so used to that sound you'll wont even notice.

When i bought my Unibody MBP I too was concerned about the SMS sound. I thought i had a faulty HD. Now I realize that the sound tells me "it's working properly" and that i should be concerned if I DIDN'T hear it.

13. pavenger macrumors regular

I must be oblivious to the world since i have never heard the sound of my disk head parking. So in order to be in the know, I had to give my lady a little shake, and there you have it. CLICK! thats cool, but i don't see how that could get so frustrating that i'd have to turn it off.

14. duffyanneal macrumors 6502a

duffyanneal

Some HDDs make more noise than others when parking the heads, but I agree with you that I rarely hear mine make the noise.

15. stashu macrumors newbie

Is this an Apple feature or do all hard drives have this feature...and if I change the hard drive, will I lose this?

I've never heard of this before.