Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ss957916

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 17, 2009
It makes a clunk sound as I move it. Harddrive maybe? Should I be concerned?

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home
It makes a clunk sound as I move it. Harddrive maybe? Should I be concerned?

It'll be the sudden motion sensor taking action. It detects that the computer is being moved so it parks the head on the hard drive as to stop any damage from occurring. It's protecting your computer :)

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
Mac OS X parks the 'heads' of your HD as much as it can to protect the hard drive should the laptop suddenly move, and to conserve power. Unfortunately, it happens so much that it causes 2 problems:

1) Each tick is known as a 'load cycle', and too many load cycles causes premature HD failure

2) On some drives, the tick is loud enough to be highly annoying in a quiet room. But, Apple's hitachi drive didn't seem to be loud enough that I noticed it at all. I only noticed it when I put the WD drive in.

Go to link

Now, this stops the drive from EVER parking the heads, so you will never hear the ticking again

BUT, it causes two more problems:

1) The head parking does actually protect the drive from movement damage, so you are increasing the chance of failure

2) It messes with the automatic sleep function which means you have to close the laptop to get it to sleep, or go to apple > sleep. As long as the laptop is left open, the hard drive will keep spinning and spinning forever!

AND, you have to open terminal and type 'hdapm disk0 max' every time you reboot and sometimes when you switch to battery power.

Taken from macrumors article link

drummerlondonw3

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008
London
maybe you are moving your laptop too suddenly, I rarely hear mine, other than starting up etc, being more gentle might help?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.