New MBP, Coconut battery says 94% capacity

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tigress666, Jun 9, 2010.

1. tigress666 macrumors 68040

Ok, I know I wasn't going to get the 10 hours that Apple brags, but I was kinda hoping it would at least be 6-7.

So I decided to finally test the battery today (I did calibrate it by powering it to full, draining the battery, and after more than 5 hours rest i charged it to full again, using it during time).

First it shocked me but then I rememberd I had Sims 3 (just got it today) running in the background and I remember some one saying that game sux battery (it has anywhere from 1-3 hours to play Sims). So I turned it off. Right now battery is at 85%, with brightness to half, wifi on, using Firefox and terminal, and it's telling me anywhere from 4 hours 20 minutes to (right now) it said 5 hours (it does tend to change).

Oh, and how much life it tells me it has jumps around a lot. Like 2 minutes ago it was saying 5 hours, a few minutes before that it was saying 4 hours and 23 minutes. And now I just turned off bluetooth and it went to four hours 20 minutes.

So I checked what cocout battery said and it told me I had 94% capacity on this battery (I mean the battery is supposedly now only able to do 94% of its capacity).

Do you think maybe I calibrated it wrong? I let it drain while I was at work so I wasn't sure when it went off so I waited five hours after I got back from work to plug it in and use it again. And anytime it was powered in I used it (the instructions said I could).

Or should I be worried?

2. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

What did you do to fully drain the battery? Typically the MBP just goes to sleep after a set period of inactivity.

3. tigress666 thread starter macrumors 68040

Uh, I let it stay on with wifi (it was on for more than 10 hours by the time I got home and it would not wake up so I assumed I had gotten to the point I needed it to be). And I think I told it not to go to sleep at all in the settings (though I did say it could turn off display cause it freaked me out about saying that was bad for the display).

4. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

It sounds like you calibrated it correctly. 94% does sound a little low, but give it a week or so of use and see if that number changes for the better. If not I would say you have cause enough for Apple to replace the battery.

5. 530farm macrumors member

after calibrating mine, and checking coconut battery mine was at around 97% w/ only 2 cycles on the battery. FOr somereason now it is at 100% w/ 6 cycles. I would use it a little more and check again later.

6. Madin macrumors newbie

same thing happend here.
    As it turns out the capacity readings tent to fluctuate.
    Take a look at the screenshot. Went down to 94% two times already but came back to (near) 100%. Right now, it seems to stay at well above 100%.

Keep an eye on it and just enjoy your MBP :)

Attached Files:

7. blackwind macrumors regular

Same here. Brand new out the box (fully charge) then install coconutbattery.
    11 Cycle on it. with 7weeks old. and 94% only..

After I've done 2 battery Calibrations. It shows 100% :)

Cheers