New MBP compatible with El Cap?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by azzaman, Jan 25, 2017.

1. azzaman macrumors newbie

Hi there,

I have just purchased a new MacBook Pro, updating from a 17 inch Macbook Pro 2009.

The OS on my 2009 is loaded with El Capitan (which is the highest I can go with a machine that old). The new machine is loaded with Sierra.

Questions is, is the new machine backward compatible. I have a CCC cloned version of the 2009 and thinking I can boot into this and update, then copy this over to the new machine, or would I be able to copy the El Capitan version to the new machine and update after. Obviously the second option would be the easiest.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Aaron

2. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

3. azzaman thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, so from a Carbon Copy Cloner question, would I be able to boot into my el cap back up and update that to sierra, either from the new MacBook Pro or my older iMac. At the end of the day I only need to update this backup and then I am in business.

4. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

You'll need to update your backup to Sierra on a different computer.

Apple blocks a computer from installing a version of macOS that predates the computer model.

For example, if OS X 10.12.2 was the latest version available. And Apple released a Mac running 10.12.2 that came out after 10.12.2, and that model had drivers / hardware unique to that model, then it might have a custom version of 10.12.2 installed.

This would prevent you from booting the computer with a standard version of 10.12.2

You would only be able to boot that model with its custom version of 10.12.2 or a standard release of 10.12.3 or later. Note the increase to 3 in that last sentence.

5. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

You can just migrate all your apps and data across without updating anything using migration assistant or you can update the older machine and do a new copy.

6. chrfr macrumors 603

It's not clear exactly what you're trying to do. If you are trying to get your applications and files from the old MacBook to the new one, you can just run the Migration Assistant which comes with the operating system to do this. It can migrate from a backup or from another computer, and your backup does not need to be on Sierra for this to work.
    Edit: oops, I somehow missed the post above mine which offers the same suggestion.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No, Apple does not update legacy operating systems to have them work with newer computers.

The latest MBPs are on a different chipset, and have different components and El Cap does not have the kexts (or device drivers) to run those components. You can only go with Sierra or newer.

As for CCC you can use that to restore your data., just not the OS.

8. Fishrrman macrumors G4

If you want to continue to maintain your OLD CCC backup from the OLD computer…

…you will need a SECOND CCC BACKUP DRIVE for the NEW computer.

Or, "abandon" the old CCC backup, and create a brand new one, on the new MacBook.