New MBP, cracked trackpad

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MoodyM, Dec 3, 2010.

1. MoodyM macrumors 6502a

MoodyM

I bought a brand new 17" MBP from the Apple Store in Glasgow, UK, in June.

Today my trackpad cracked right in the middle, under normal use - I use my middle finger to navigate and click, and it just kinda "gave way".

Am I covered under the warranty?

Cheers

Pic here:

[​IMG]

2. Stvwndr219 macrumors 6502

Seems to be occurring sporadically with a few users on here. Best thing you can do is talk to Apple and explain your situation - worse thing they can do is say it's not covered on the warranty.

FWIW, I read that there is a tension screw underneath the bottom portion that may lead to this but the techs at Apple will know more than I will.

3. Mabyboi macrumors 6502

Mabyboi

Best thing you can do is take it in to the apple store, be completely honest with them and let them know what happened and that you've read online that this has happened to a few people. As another user said, the worst thing they can do is tell you its not under warranty..

4. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

sure you didn't drop anything on top of that trackpad?

5. MoodyM thread starter macrumors 6502a

MoodyM

Are you for real? Of course I'm sure, hence why I said "under normal use". What would be the point of me lying about it, especially on an independent, 3rd party forum?

6. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

Well, what's the point in asking a bunch of non-apple employed folks in a "3rd party forum" if Apple will fix your trackpad for free?

7. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

He is asking if it's a common thing or has happened to other people. If people have had this fixed by apple for free, then he can not worry about having to pay for the repair.

8. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

The cracked Trackpads I have seen pics of are all cracked at the bottom middle area ... this is the first one I have seen cracked like this.

But I do see a good chance Apple will fix yours under warranty :cool:

9. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

Now how did you get all if this out of the simple question, "Am I covered under the warranty?"

That is definitely no barometer for repairs. He will be entirely at the mercy of an Apple representative regardless of what's said here.