New MBP Crumpler bag - "Considerable" or "Dreadful"?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by D-Love, Oct 27, 2008.

1. D-Love macrumors regular

I am strongly considering the Crumpler line of laptop bags and am wondering which one to get if I do get one. "Considerable Embarrassment" or "Dreadful Embarrassment"? I have scoured the boards for threads on this topic but in light of the new MBP and its slightly different dimensions I wanted to make sure I got the right bag.

I've seen reports of the Considerable bag being too tight for the MBP, and that the Dreadful was the better fit. I would like my laptop to fit in there snug, and not shift around at all when I have the velcro down. I am wondering if anyone has any experience with these 2 bags and the new MBP and what your thoughts are. If the MBP fits snug inside the Dreadful then that is the one I am leaning towards.

2. Knolly macrumors 6502a

I've got the considerable and never had a single problem with my MBP.

3. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

Heres the deal with the Considerable Embarrassment bag:

When Crumpler first released the Considerable Embarrassmet for the MB/MBP, the sleeve on the inside of the bag was too small and fit the MB snugly, leaving no room at all to squeeze in a MBP. Not too many of these bags got out, and a few months after their release the sleeve was resized to fit both. The new bags fit the MBP perfectly, and leave a little wiggle room for the MB.

The original bags had a crescent shape at the bottom of the front flap, and will only hold the MB:

[​IMG]

The reissue of the bag has a solid flap, and will hold both the MB and MBP:

[​IMG]

Most retailers do not have the old Embarasment anymore, even if their picture might indicate otherwise. Even so, Crumpler will replace the bag free of charge (they have fantastic customer service, btw) if you do happen to get one of the old ones that doesn't fit how you want.

4. D-Love thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you for the feedback, that's what makes this place great!

Didn't know about the change, does it still fit the new MBP well? The new one has a bit bigger footprint so I didn't know if that made a difference.

5. MarkCombs macrumors member

Loud

the only problem with these large Crumpler bags is that they have a huge piece of velcro that keeps it closed. I'm in graduate school and sometimes I need to open up my bag in a quiet room and the noise from the Velcro is HUGE - it's really annoying. I bought a Kenneth Cole Leather bag that has clips that are MUCH better. Better yet, find one that closes with magnets.

6. maxhk macrumors newbie

Crumpler Hard Suit?

Has anyone here had experience with Crumpler Hard Suit? They look very nice but I'm just wondering if my new MBP will fit snugly into this pouch.

Sorry to hijack your thread OP, but it saves me from starting a new thread.:p

7. ThunderRobot macrumors regular

ThunderRobot

I know they're small and the probability of data-loss is minimal, but why take any risk with magnets and computers?

8. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

magnets pose no harm to HDDs, unless we're talkin huge electro magnets.

magnets were an issue with floppy disks. HDs are fine.

heck, the HDD itself has a magnet inside to move the head.

9. D-Love thread starter macrumors regular

LOL no prob.

Anyone have any input on the fit of the new unibody mbp?

10. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

I have the Considerable Embarrassment and I will confirm that the MBP fits in it perfectly. It is also nice that the laptop area does not go all the way to the bottom of the bag, so the MBP is lifted slightly.

I did not like the 2 black clips, so I removed them, the velcro is strong enough to keep the bag closed.

I agree that the velcro can be a bit noisy when opening, but then again, that is how they got their name. Embarrassment.

11. steamed.hams macrumors 6502

steamed.hams

That's a great idea. Anyone have any recs to a good bag with magnets?

12. Bootsie macrumors 6502a

Bootsie

I use some patches of sew-on velcro that I cut to fit the velcro on my crumpler photo bags to keep them quiet when I need to, I just keep the patches in a pocket in the bag and stick it on when I know that I am going to be in a quiet environment. I love all of my Crumpler bags! I have a couple of the Million Dollar Home photo bags, and the King Single backpack for my MBP.

13. wiley17 macrumors newbie

Out of curiousity, do you guys use a laptop sleeve when using these bags or do you just put the laptop in 'naked'?

14. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

Mine goes directly into the sleeve naked. The Velcro is easily removeable (or just put tape over it), and you can just use the clips.

15. D-Love thread starter macrumors regular

Ordered the brown Crumpler Considerable Embarrassment today from Apple. :D

16. reubs macrumors 68000

Just wanted to bring this back up again. I'll be getting a 15" MBP in the next few weeks, and I'm wondering if folks are still happy with the "considerable embarrassment". I'll only have the laptop, a Bible (I'm a priest), and maybe a few smaller books in there at a time along with the requisite cables for phone, iPod, and MBP.

It may double as an overnight bag in some cases, too.

Thoughts on those needs?

17. hookem12387 macrumors 6502

Different bag, but I love my timbuk2 canvas bag

18. phrozen209 macrumors newbie

Looking to get the considerable embarrassment also. Anyone know if the green one looks ok in person? It looks cool on the Apple site, but I wouldn't want it if it's like a horrible off-green or something. I like the darker green on the outside, but and don't mind the lighter toothpaste-green on the inside. Do they carry these in the Apple Stores?