Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZballZ

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 11, 2006
I do a lot of FCP video-editing on my current MBP. Usually I hook up my FW800 HDD as the Scratch Disk, and do the capture from a DV-player, hooked into the FW400.

Would a similar setup be possible on the new MBP? Is it possible to connect my HD to the FW800 and then daisy-chain to the DV-player? Would this still make everything controlable from FCP?

And ... would everything become slower? I mean when capturing the video-signal passes through to FCP and then goes back from the same wire to the harddisk. Doesn't sound like a good setup.

Any experience anyone?

Timur

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2008
Would a similar setup be possible on the new MBP? Is it possible to connect my HD to the FW800 and then daisy-chain to the DV-player? Would this still make everything controlable from FCP?
As long as the controller on the HD works as it should it shouldn't make no difference whatsoever. The FW400 port of the old MBP is on the very same FW800 bus, it's like daisy chaining, just internally.

jhamerphoto

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2007
I had wondered the same thing, so I asked a guy at the apple store. He said it would work as long as all the ports were working (obviously). I tried it out when I got my new mbp with fcp and it works exactly the same. I had mine daisy-chained through 2 HDDs. Have fun!

ZballZ

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 11, 2006
Thx! Sounds great - so it seems that a single FW800-port on the new MBP is no limitation after all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.