New MBP design vs. old one?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by upsguy27, Aug 26, 2009.

1. upsguy27 macrumors 65816

upsguy27

Okay, so I'm looking at getting a MBP, and I can't decide between the Unibody and the older design. I really like the older design better, a lot better. My question is, if I got the old design, how outdated would it be in a few months as compared to a Late 2008 Unibody? I'd probably get the last revision of the old design, or the 2.53Ghz 2008 Unibody. Would the old design be outdated in a few months? I'm mostly talking in the gaming aspect here. I don't really play games that much, but how does the 8600GT hold up to current games?

2. gniss39 macrumors regular

I like the old design more as well. I think it comes down to Aesthetics vs. Performance in your case. I'm not sure how well the 8600M GT will hold up in modern games but I know it runs games like CS: Source and WoW pretty well. But if you want to have the most recent graphics card in the MBP line up, then you gotta spring for the unibody. Plus it will last longer down the road and will get you better performance for upcoming games such as Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3 ^^. In the end it's Aesthetics vs. Performance IMO.

3. Highland macrumors regular

I really like the old MBP's aluminium display bezel. However, after having owned a Unibody MBP for a few months now, I can say with some conviction that they're MUCH, MUCH nicer. They just feel more solid and better build.

Really, really love the new Unibody MBP.

4. kenobe23 macrumors member

I would not buy an older model. In the computer world that's rarely a good idea.

5. bcburrows macrumors 6502

bcburrows

Have to agree

Replaced my 2Ghz MBP for the uMBP in March 2009 - not looking back, design has really grown on me, I just hope SL uses it to its full potential!!!

6. packgrad2000 macrumors regular

Do not buy the old MBP. They all have the dreaded 8600GT graphic card which is a ticking time bomb (unless you go way back like 4 generations ago), and the newer unibody design is stronger with a hopefully better battery. I have a 2 year old SR MBP and while it's nice, the uMBP are nicer in every way, especially now that you can get a matte screen. Well, unless you need the ExpressCard slot...that's the only thing it has going for it.

7. yoak macrumors 65816

yoak

Unless you need some of the features of the old MBP, buy the new one.
    I needed 2 FW ports and the express card slot so it wasn´t difficult for me to go for the old one when the uMBP came out.
    As they have now removed the express card slot from the 15 MBP, I will just hold on to my MBP for a while longer.
    If you can get a really good deal on the old one it´s still a very capable machine. I edit HD footage on mine all the time

8. Bjohnson33 macrumors 6502

I agree - it's worth it to spend a little bit more and get the latest and greatest.

9. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
  10. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

You could go with the new mbp antiglare matte option. It has the silver bezel and looks better to me.

I wish they had the antiglare on the first gen unibodies. I want an expresscard reader, not a sd slot.