New MBP died

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by m85476585, Jun 12, 2008.

1. m85476585 macrumors 65816

I got a new MBP two days ago, and as I was putting it to sleep today, it seems to have died. I tried to turn it on, and it didnt wake up. I followed the troubleshooting on apple.com, but that didn't work. I called apple support, and they walked me through the same steps. When that didn't work, they told me I had to bring it into the apple store to exchange it.

They are going to transfer all my data, but it won't be ready until tomorrow afternoon :(. Right now all I have is my iPod touch, but I guess it could be worse--at least I can still read macrumors.

Overall, not a great experience with my first mac. In addition to the computer dying in two days, I couldnt get the printer I wanted with the rebate. Apple.com lists the canon pixma ip4500, but the store only had the ip3500m, which has half the resolution, less speed, and no automatic duplexing. Printing on both sides is the only feature I will really miss, but it would have been nice.

I hope the forum doesn't log me out this time... It took a while to retype my post on my iPod touch. The keyboard is starting to slow down from the length of my post.

2. stiphone macrumors regular

My heart goes out to you. It's just a once off situation. I had many friends with Macs and they done really have much of a problem with them. Though you cannot expect every electronic item to work as published. It's just luck i think. Anyway, this should really show you that AppleCare is important as I'm a strong believer in it.

It's like buying insurance.... :)

3. m85476585 thread starter macrumors 65816

I did get apple care based on everything I read here. Since the laptop is for college, I don't want to have any problems.

4. geekygoddess macrumors member

Well, I started out with a bit of a rocky start as well. But now everything is complete perfection. And I am sure the same will go for you as well. Welcome to the club:D

5. m85476585 thread starter macrumors 65816

I picked up the computer today, and they seem to have copied everything over OK, but the didn't install all the software updates before transferring stuff. Right now handbrake isn't working (it was before on the same DVD), but I'll see after the updates.

I'm running a Time Machine backup just in case.

6. m85476585 thread starter macrumors 65816

Handbrake still didn't work after I installed 10.5.3, but once I played the DVD for a minute in DVD Player (the program, not the box under the TV), it worked just fine.

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

8. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Hey every manufacturer has some duds in the pile. That said, i've seen about 30 or so macbook pros (IT environment) and none of them have failed outright like you describe.

So no, don't expect it to represent "the mac experience" you have probably been hearing about :D

9. acquinn macrumors newbie

acquinn

10. pianoman181 macrumors regular

Do you people even read anything other than the parent post?