New MBP display moderately dim and flickering

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bollweevil, Nov 10, 2008.

1. bollweevil macrumors 6502

My brand new MBP display is moderately dim, and the brightest colors are visibly flickering. The flicker is slight, but definitely noticeable. Unplugging the power cord dims the screen even more and stops the flicker. The unplugged computer remains dimmer than when plugged in, even if brightness is set to maximum. I held the computer's light sensor under three 75W bulbs, it didn't get any brighter.

Ideas?

2. bollweevil thread starter macrumors 6502

Okay, weird. The computer is brighter again, but now I am SURE the brightness doesn't adjust even if I go in a dark room and cover the iSight camera and surround with my hand, then uncover it and shine three bulbs on it. I went into System Preferences>Displays, and the check box for Adjust to Ambient Light is definitely checked. It is behaving as if the ambient light sensor doesn't work right, perhaps.

3. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

It dims automatically if you're idle. You can disable that in the Power Saver menu in System Preferences.

4. jgo78 macrumors 6502

I have a mild flicker too on lower brightness levels as if the refresh rate is off. Goes away after awhile though. If i put brightness level at half or above the flicker goes away. What gives?

5. bollweevil thread starter macrumors 6502

My computer does exactly the same thing, it seems. I too am left wondering what gives. I think my ambient light sensor might work fine, and perhaps it only fully responds to bright sunlight and not a relatively bright lamp.

6. jgo78 macrumors 6502

it's not an ambient sensor thing as I have mine turned off. It's a flicker that starts after the computer's been turned off for awhile and at low brightness levels. It goes away after awhile but will return again after it's cold. It's also more intense in vista.