New MBP, docking options Apple?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tmt, Nov 26, 2016.

1. tmt macrumors member

tmt

Hi,
    I´m considering a new MBP as replacement for my early 2011 MBP.
    As there is only usb-c connections I´m looking for some kind of dock instead of lots of adapters.
    I found Belkin is doing a nice dock for usb-c but can´t find anything on Apples site, only adapters en masse...
    Does anybody know if Apple has something in the pipeline?
    TIA

2. Creep89 macrumors 6502

Does not look like Apple has something in the pipeline. Quite disappointing if you ask me. The whole dock situation is just embarrassing. Everyone says "coming soon". Seriously what the ****? For months it is crystal clear that the new MacBooks will use USB-C only. And still no one was able to offer a proper docking solution from day one.

3. CasablancaDR, Nov 26, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2016

CasablancaDR macrumors member

https://eshop.macsales.com/preorder/owc-thunderbolt-3-dock/

The one I ordered. There is anything I want so no dongle required except for the TB2 > TB3 that I would need for my Lacie Raid 0. And it charges the MacBook Pro. OWC products are always good. Comes in silver or space grey.

No need of an Apple one for me with this dock.

4. ex-machina macrumors newbie

5. tmt thread starter macrumors member

tmt

Thank everybody!
    But it seems Apple isn´t going to do it´s own dock, and all the other docks are coming out in q1 2017.
    Was everyone caught with their pants down?
    :D

6. TheBacklash macrumors 6502

TheBacklash

Just a question, when was the last time Apple made a dock for a MBP?

Cause I don't remember finding one for my 15", nor for my old 13". It's all 3rd party unless there is a secret passcode on Apple's website/in store to get one.

7. CasablancaDR macrumors member

They dit... With the Apple Thunderbolt Display which was a dock in its own way. :D

8. protoxx macrumors 6502a

protoxx

If HDMI connection on hub the big item to check is the 4k@60hz compatibility. There are quite a few that do 4k@30hz but not @60hz.

9. tmt thread starter macrumors member

tmt

protoxx:
    Yeah I saw that.
    The OWC item looks promising as I have a FW hard drive and it´s a beaut!

10. spacebro macrumors 6502

I like the vertical henge dock for my 2015 macbook pro. Apple should buy this company so they can release docks at the same time as new macbooks. 6 months is a long time to wait for something that is so integral to the way people use macbooks in the office.

11. protoxx macrumors 6502a

protoxx

The Kensington checks a lot of checkboxes. If it could support 2 monitors@60hz and had sd/micro sd card(s) it would check all the wishlist.

12. RByers8252 macrumors regular

I just need a dock with 2 HDMI ports, pass through USB charging, and a couple 3.0 ports and sadly it doesn't look like any things on the horizon. Stuck using Apple Dongles, hoping CES gives me hope.