New MBP doesn't seem faster than old Whitebook

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by somuchtosayx, Jun 18, 2009.

1. somuchtosayx macrumors newbie

I just replaced my old, mid 2008, 2.1Ghz Whitebook with a brand new 15" 2.53 Macbook Pro. The new one has way faster RAM, 20% faster processor, and newer hardware.
    So how come it doesn't feel any faster. Safari 4 still takes a second to load up, and Lightroom and iTunes don't feel any speedier either. I think the Whitebook was faster when it was new than this one feels now.
    I did do a new OS X install when I bought it and transfered my old data using Time Machine. So i guess my question is whether or not some settings from my old account on the macbook, are slowing things down now. For example maybe some Library or System setting/preferences got replaced or something.

Even if I am just crazy.... does anyone have any suggestions for starting the computer with the cleanest slate but still keeping my old backup data? I am only interested in backing up music, photos, bookmarks, and thats about it. But that is also about 100GB of data. I don't mind reinstalling Apps rather than restoring them, if it means a cleaner OS X.
    I probably dont need to worry as much, since I'll be doing a re-Install when Snow Leopard is released, but in the mean time Id like to notice a difference in the computer hardware. Any suggestion???

p.s. I do love my new computer! 15" is way worth it compared to 13" but it still feel weird moving around, unpacking from my bookbag because of the size. The illuminated keyboard is a Godsend though, and Firewire 800 is dreamy fast compared to Firewire 400. I just want to treat this one nice, keep the OS clean and the computer running optimally.
    See I never shutdown, I only put to sleep usually, restarting once a week at most. I never have more than 5 programs running, and if I'm using Photoshop, than usually even fewer.

2. unagimiyagi macrumors 6502a

Truth is, most of what the ordinary consumer does doesn't require the fast processors that the newest models have.

3. somuchtosayx thread starter macrumors newbie

So you're saying that I don't notice the incresed speed because I don't do anything that would take advantage of it? Like decoding FLACs or encoding Mp3s for example. But normal program launches and multi-tasking wont benefit significantly?

4. kockgunner macrumors 68000

kockgunner

Maybe you were expecting too much or maybe it's because the hard drive spins at the same speed? When one gets an SSD, they expect programs to open faster so I'm guessing hard drive speed is a factor when launching programs--more so than a faster processor.

5. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

Dum dum dummmmmmm. Looks like someone got sucked into the new computer craze. yep, you wont notice much b/c you didnt do heavy stuff

6. WilliamG macrumors 604

I've said it once and I'll say it again. A GOOD SSD will be the best upgrade you can do now for your computer. By a country mile. Get a Vertex SSD or an Intel X-25 SSD.

7. chris3g macrumors member

switching from a normal hard drive to a fast SSD gives you the most noticeable change in things like app launching and general system usage.

8. fuzzielitlpanda macrumors 6502a

Negative on the Vertex SSD for the new mbps. I don't know what apple changed, but the Vertex drives are having a lot of problems on the new mbps.