New MBP ejects my external hdd during backup

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Rob9874, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Rob9874 macrumors 6502

Searched this forum as well as Google about my issue, and found a 17-page thread on the Apple support forums, with no solution. Few instances on here.

I bought my new 15" MBP recently, and performed a successful TM backup. After installing some apps, I tried backing up again, but the external hard drive ejects during backup. I get an error message saying that the backup failed, and that next time I should properly eject before disconnecting. Cable is not touched the entire time, even tried a few different cables. It's a 500GB Seagate FreeAgent Go, USB-powered.

I'm going to try repairing the hdd tonight. I thought about replacing it, but from what I read on the Apple forum, it seems to be a widespread issue. Has anyone heard of this issue, and maybe a solution?

2. firegoldlynx macrumors newbie

firegoldlynx

It just happened to me but I was thinking it was the external enclosure / hard drive. I was going to try it on another one to see if it fails again.

3. Rob9874 thread starter macrumors 6502

I read more, and it seems the problem might be related to the USB power management. I'm going to try using a powered USB hub tonight and I'll report back.

4. firegoldlynx macrumors newbie

firegoldlynx

yeah that fixed it, usb external self powered backed up 36gb in just under an hour

5. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

this happened to me numerous times. i tried esata, firewire and usb, same result.

6. Rob9874, Mar 14, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2011

Rob9874 thread starter macrumors 6502

Nope, the powered USB hub didn't help anything. Still failed at the same point - after 95GB backed up.

Update: Deleted 12GB of crap I downloaded, and it backed up fine. Not sure if it didn't like those files, or if my 500GB hdd has a problem backing up more than 95GB. I'll find out soon enough.