New MBP (Extended Warranty?)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sandman1969, Oct 26, 2012.

1. Sandman1969 macrumors 6502a

Sandman1969

We finally bought a new MBP 15.4 non-retina yesterday for our Anniversary. Man sooo sweet.

Anyway, all four of our iMacs have had applecare. The two 2007 24" ones paid off as they both had a HD failure right around 2.5 years. It was one of the easiest things I could think of.

We bought our iPads from BestBuy and went with their protection plan.

I picked up the MBP from BestBuy and I am debating on what if any extended warranty I should look into.

AppleCare doesn't cover any accidents. With a laptop being a mobile device I can see that might come in handy. Especially, with kids in the equation. Though, ours are pretty responsible for their age. Now my nieces are another story.

BestBuy covers accidents, for 2 years I think. Not sure the process if there is an issue with spillage/electrical/drop.

But now I am reading up on SquareTrade. That looks like a good option and for about the same price covers 3 years.

I am not worried about Technical support.

What would yall recommend? I am leaning towards SquareTrade. Though, I just sent my homeowners insurance to see if that can be added to our rider. I believe my friends had similar coverage with his USAA insurance. Might be cheaper if it is an option, and would cover a longer period of time.

2. Mdwall macrumors member

I had applecare on my iPod and never used it its now out so I can't really comment on how good or bad it is. Seems most who use it have very satisfactory experiences. The lack of accidental coverage does concern me though as well.

On the other hand;
    My wife bought her iPad with the Best Buy accidental coverage and it dropped off of the table one day and the screen shattered. We went by and they swapped it out in less than 20 minutes for a brand new one. Not sure how they would handle a repair though. I presume they would have to send it out so there would probably be more of a delay getting it back than taking it to an Apple store. I would read up on what exactly they cover in the accidental though because I believe there are some exclusions. But if it fits within their guidelines the excange process should be fairly effortless.

Square trade sounds like a good deal but sending it out without a local store to drop it at concerns me personally.

Normally I don't like 3rd party warranties but I have personally only had good experiences with BBY's warranty.

3. Sandman1969 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sandman1969

Yeah that is the only thing I don't like with ST. I like going in and dealing with someone. Not sure how fast their turn around is.

I Loved applecare with our two iMacs. Dropped them off, and picked them up 2 or 3 days later.

That is good to know about the BB coverage. I will read up on their details. Being a small mobile device accidental damage coverage is important to me.