New MBP + External Display

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Coldsnap0, Nov 27, 2008.

1. Coldsnap0 macrumors newbie

Mar 27, 2008
    I heard from some people that there have been issues with the new MBP and external monitors. I'm planning on going out tomorrow to buy a 19' or a 22' external, both VGA (Since I have the VGA Adapter for the new MBP). Now, has anyone experienced issues between Boot Camped XP and Leopard? (Such as video playback or gaming?)
    Also, can i simply have the lappy closed while hooked up to monitor to use it?
  2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Aug 13, 2006
    1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
    You can use it closed. What issues would there be?
  3. Coldsnap0 thread starter macrumors newbie

Mar 27, 2008
  4. danny_w macrumors 601

Mar 8, 2005
    Austin, TX
    There are many, many complaints about external displays (including Apple's own ACD) that flicker or flash when waking from sleep until the monitor is unplugged/replugged or the computer is rebooted. This seems to only affect the 9400M graphics, however, so with a MBP you can keep it set to 9600 to get around the issue; there is no fix for the MB however.

EDIT: I think the HDCP issue with HD movies not playing over VGA displays has been fixed by a patch. In theory, the SD version of the movie (which comes when you purchase the HD version) should be played instead. However, I think there is still a problem if you connect via DVI to a non-HDCP compliant monitor; the HD movie should not play, but I don't know if the SD version will play instead.
  5. Coldsnap0 thread starter macrumors newbie

Mar 27, 2008
    Well, I never buy or rent movies off iTunes.
    Any issues playing video games with boot camp though?
  6. johnrs macrumors 6502a

Jul 7, 2008
    Nottingham - UK

I have the new MBP and also boot camp installed for the odd PC games. As yet I have not had any problems booting up into windows vista and playing games or watching stuff via VLC player. I have set my monitor as the main display and all works fine for me..

I am using the mini display adpater -> DVI

Hope this helps a little.
  7. toolbox macrumors 68020

Oct 6, 2007
    Australia (WA)
    Either have i ! my MBP works nicely with one screen or my dual screens.