New MBP fan noise issue....anyone else?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RJapple, Oct 29, 2008.

1. RJapple macrumors newbie

I have had my BTO 2.8 GHz, 320 Gb @ 7200 rpm MBP for 5 days now. First 3 days I had it, absolutely dead silent, not even a whisper. Yesterday, I first noticed a rather loud whirring that seems like its comming from the 123 keys in the top left corner. It is definately the sound of a fan, and it was not there before, and it is very distracting. Since I first noticed it last night, it has not stopped. I'm at work right now, but brought it in so I could have it here when I call apple.

Just fired it up and it is again there and meanwhile my HP work laptop is absolutely silent, very sickening feeling...lol. Anyways, i'm going to call apple right now and I'll report back soon.

Edit: After an SMC reset did not fix the problem, they are sending me a new machine as soon as they get mine back. I asked the CSR if he had seen/heard anyone else with this issue and he said that yes he heard something about a malfunctioning heat sensor which triggers the fan too quickly on some of the new MBP's. So if you are having the same issue, return it!

FYI there was also a small scratch on the bezel underneath the glass just to the left of the isight camera. It wasn't that big and I was willing to live with it, but i'm glad that'll be taken care of too.

2. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

i too am sending mine today for them to send me a new one again.

3. BlooBamboo macrumors newbie

My new MBP started making an odd fan-like noise as soon as I connected the power adapter. It's gone back to Apple for a replacement today.

Shame the lead-time for the new one is another two weeks :(

4. donbenjy macrumors 6502

...there's already at least 2 other threads about this. but yeah, mine's been making weird fan clicking (left fan). Going to a Genius tomorrow, but I doubt he'll hear it in the store. I recorded it though. I really don't wanna have to leave it in for repairs though - hopefully they can either fix it on the day, or just swap out my HDD into a new machine (yeah right :p)

I'll let you know how I get on. People have already reported that it's a defective fan, but so far they've all been over the phone, and nobody's received their repaired/replaced machine yet, so it's mostly conjecture imho.

5. James17 macrumors 6502

Mine is also being replaced for the loud fan issue. Engineering at Apple want this old one to investigate the problem further. A new one is on its way as I type this.

6. sukanas macrumors 6502a

sukanas

hrm.. is this problem universal?

right now im in my dorm and with the AC and fridge running its hard to tell if any noise going on

would u guys say that the fan noise is loud as the dvd drive making noise?

7. Marty McFly macrumors newbie

reading about how people have "dead silent" units has me sorta concerned...my 2.8 is quiet but has a very faint whirring sound coming from it...i cant hear it from a typical usage distance, but if the room im in is DEAD silent and im listening for it, i can hear it. its not nearly as loud as say the dvd drive reading a disc...

so when you guys who have "dead silent" units, do you really mean that you cant hear it at all?

8. donbenjy macrumors 6502

Nowhere near as loud as that. If there's any kind of noise in the room then I can't hear it unless I put my ear to the top left of the keyboard! It's normally not distracting if I'm sitting with it on my knees/at a desk, but if I'm abit closer, like in bed or something, then I can hear it. To be honest, it isn't really loud or worrying, other than the fact that some people have it and others don't, and for a £1400 machine, I'd rather have nothing to worry about!

It sounds like if you stick a piece of paper/plastic into a fan. It's like a ticking sound. If you find the other 3 page thread there's a link to a recording that I did of it.