New MBP fans not spinning up

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hari-bhari, Nov 5, 2008.

1. hari-bhari macrumors regular

I got to 94 degrees Celsius today and no speeding up of the fans. What is going on? I installed smcFanControl but it was not running at the time. Only ways to get the fans to ramp up was by setting it in smcFanControl

Attached Files:

2. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

If it's new, return it to Apple. Could be that the fan is actually faulty? If it's the thermo sensor then your fan should be on full, all the time!

3. bcaslis macrumors 68020

The fans aren't completely controlled by CPU temperature only. It's quite possible to get that temperature for a short period of time without the fans speeding up. If your CPU was that temperature for an hour, I'd be worried. But looking at your other sensor temps, I think this was just for a short period.

4. hari-bhari thread starter macrumors regular

i mean i had it up past 80 for at least 10 minutes, i would think the fans would be triggered anywhere past 65-70. if it was hardware, i wouldnt have been able to manually boost the fans to 6000. if the temp sensor was bad, then istat pro wouldnt have been reporting such a high temp (which was correct, the case was hot as hell).

5. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Umm.. dunno what your worried about really. The intel CPU's are good till they heat up to 125°C and stay there! I'm not sure about the nVidia Chipset though, maybe they'll cope fairly well too? On the Mac's the nominal temperature regarding CPU's have always been slightly warmer compared to a PC laptop. 65-70°C is still within the normal range.

6. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Thats normal. My MBP does the same. Getting close to 100 deg C, it'll speed up but if it feels like it doesn't need to, it won't.

7. Jurwin macrumors regular

Jurwin

How the **** do you guys get such high temps? Even using handbrake I never saw my cpu temp go above 80 deg C.

8. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Some people use their machines to get paid, it's called 'work' :p

If you wanna see high temps, loading FinalCutPro, open a 30Gb (thirty gigabyte) movie project and start working with it,
    add some create some Hi-Def Motion effects and very soon your temperature soon hit 95°C to 105°C!!

9. hari-bhari thread starter macrumors regular

i thought the C2D shut off at 100C??

10. FetalSage macrumors regular

I believe the shut-off temp for C2D is at 120C, at least the emergency shut-off.

My MBP does the same too, it'll raise pretty high and the fans will stay at 2000rpm. Makes me a little worried sometimes, but I've never hit anything over 81C.

11. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Shut off is 110+ deg C. Recommended temp is below 100 deg C.

12. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

When CPU load is at 90%, my fans will be on at 3000rpm and the temperature won't go above 74'C. If they go up to 6000rpm, then the temperature won't go above 70'C, even on 100% CPU load. Although I did just get a new logic board, and apparently my old logic board, the fans were clogged up with crud.

I'd take it back to Apple. The fans should definitely come on, even if it is just to 3000rpm.

13. bcaslis macrumors 68020

The new unibody MBPs don't work the same way. I have two and bringing the CPU up to 90% doesn't automatically cause the fans to ramp up. The fans will eventually come on if the heat builds, but it takes a lot more to cause them to come on compared to previous MBPs.

14. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

The OP should check logs, as that is likely what will (or not) trigger a replacement, or service need. If the system is not logging high temperature events or showing evidence that it is throttling processers due to high temperatures, I doubt Apple is going to do anything.

[​IMG]

15. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

Out of interest - are there any air vents at all in the new MacBook Pro's? The old ones had an exhaust at the back under the screen, but in the new ones the bottom on the hinge bit of the screen is black so I can't see from photos if there is still air vents there.

Still, 90'C is a very high temperature to get to without the fans coming on to 3000rpm.

16. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Yes there are both intake and exhaust vents in the back area of the laptop. The fans both blow out (I Believe?), and can take air from either the keyboard area, or the rear (clamshell mode).

The OP should check logs, as that is likely what will (or not) trigger a replacement, or service need. If the system is not logging high temperature events or showing evidence that it is throttling processers due to high temperatures, I doubt Apple is going to do anything.

[​IMG]

17. bcaslis macrumors 68020

As already answered, yes there are vents similar to the previous MBP body. I do see that it seems more common on this machine for the CPU temperature to run higher, but the other sensors are not high and the case still cool. But the fans do come on if there is enough heat so it's not broken. Unless I looked at the actual temperatures, the MBP feels like it runs much cooler than previous models.

18. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

Won't take any air from through the keyboard now - the fans are mounted on the bottom. That was why I was wondering about the air flow - but I assume it'll be a two-way road with the fans.

19. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

[​IMG]

Yeah, your right, I just pulled up the images again. It appears that the membrane pictured above would prevent air from being pulled from the keyboard. Not sure if it is a push pull system (the fans). I am curious about that, but don't want to take my MBP apart to test it out :p . Stupid curiosity! :eek:

[​IMG]

20. Silentzio macrumors newbie

has it been clearly stated when the fans will start to spin up?

because mine never left 2000rpm even at temp above 80C for long period of time (more than 5min) when converting movie in isquint.

Not until i installed fan control.