New MBP, fans stuck at 6000 RPM?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thomath, Feb 28, 2008.

1. thomath macrumors newbie

Hi there,

This is my first post but I've been lurking for a while.

I bought a Macbook Pro 15" (the middle-of-the-road model) this morning and the fan(s?) have been stuck on full since I've first booted it up. There are no runaway processes and all of the temperatures are acceptable (nothing hotter than 45C). All of the temperature sensors are working so I see no reason why the fans should be going ******* like this.

I'd appreciate any light anyone is able to shed on the issue ;)

2. michaelsviews macrumors 65816

Try this , shut it down , unplug everything, network and power cable , than remove battery, than open the screen and push power button and hold for 20 seconds, release , close screen, put battery back in and give it a go

3. akadmon macrumors 68010

4. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

I don't own a MBP so don't speak from experience, but I'm fairly sure it shouldn't be doing that.

5. thomath thread starter macrumors newbie

I phoned up Apple support and they recommended resetting the SMC as mentioned earlier in the thread -- no luck. The told me to go into my Apple store, which I did this evening, and they just told me to pack it back up and they'll give me another one, which I'm going to do as soon as possible. I just hope they've got stock.

This is a very strange problem... when I got back from the Regent Street and booted my MBP up, it was running normally for a few minutes, then the fan speed rose steadily up to 6000 rpm for no good reason -- CPU usage was <5% and temperatures were all very low.