new MBP + FedEx = FML

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by GolPosts.com, Jun 16, 2009.

1. GolPosts.com macrumors newbie

Who else is having trouble getting their macbook from shanghai? does anyone know what this means?

Jun 16, 2009 9:00 PM
    At local FedEx facility
    SHANGHAI CN

Jun 13, 2009 3:51 PM
    Left FedEx origin facility
    SHANGHAI CN

Jun 13, 2009 3:46 PM
    Picked up
    SHANGHAI CN

Package received after FedEx cutoff
    Jun 13, 2009 1:17 PM
    Shipment information sent to FedEx

I'm anything but patient haha so this wait is killing me. And when I called FedEx, the lady just told me "yup, its movin' 'round"
    Me: "so do you think its in the US yet (after 4 days)?"
    Her: "Oh no i wouldnt think so. i wouldnt say that no. But you know its making progress"

:eek: HOW MUCH PROGRESS NEEDS TO BE MADE TO GET A LAPTOP TO SHIP?!? it shouldn't take 4 days to get a box on a plane.

sorry for the vent.. I just needed to say something. Anyone else having a similar problem? I haven't seen the "local fedex facility" thing before so I thought I'd ask.

also, was it worth it to upgrade to 3.06 ghz and a 500gb HDD? I hope its faster than fedex :/

2. darkpaw macrumors 6502

darkpaw

I'm having a similar problem. I ordered mine on June 8th the first moment I could. Its shipment status was altered on 10th to say "In Transit to Customer - Shipment on Schedule" but is dated TWO DAYS FROM NOW! How can someone have updated its status two days from now?! It still says it'll arrive sometime on 22nd-23rd June, but I doubt it. It hasn't changed status in 6 days.

I called Apple and they said it's on its way, and couldn't do anything more than that :(

Yes. Get the best you can afford right now. That bigger HDD will come in handy. I was running out of space on my 250GB 17-inch MBP.

3. itsmed macrumors regular

itsmed

my new 17" should be with me by Friday i foned TNT today and thats what they said. i cant track my order here in the UK :mad: the wait is killing me this is my first mac :D

4. bcaslis macrumors 68020

Every single time I've ordered and it's shipped from China the same thing happens. It's shipped from the factory after the cutoff time and basically sees it sitting there for 1 1/2 days. Once it gets to the U.S. (seems like Alaska or Indianapolis is usually first stop) you will start to see regular updates.

It's maddening but perfectly normal.

5. mike1123 macrumors 6502

mike1123

The reason for the date differences is due to the time zone difference. They are a day ahead over there, so it's possible that a date that has already passed there has not passed here yet.

6. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

Mine has been in Alaska since Sunday and just cleared customs this morning. Right now it's been sitting in an Alaska sorting facility since yesterday afternoon (1pm Alaska time). No movement or updates since then.

7. fireball360 macrumors member

I ordered MBP exactly one week ago today, and it's current status is picked up in shanghai, package received after FedEx cutoff...It says that it is supposed to be here by the 19th...but still it took me 10 days to get it.

8. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

I just ordered a DVD drive off eBay and when the package finally arrived 11 days later, I released the package came from Hong Kong! (I got shipping confirmation the day after I ordered it)
    If you were to add another couple days it takes to custom build the machine, it could take two weeks to get to you at worst.

9. AdamLikesMusic macrumors 6502

Welcome to the world.

Be glad they didn't stick it on a freighter ship instead!

(I'm pretty surprised anyone could find this "FML"-worthy)

10. ateslik macrumors regular

Hmm. Mine shipped from Shanghai:

Jun 12, 2009 9:50 AM
    Delivered
    BURBANK, CA
    Package delivered to recipient address - release authorized

Jun 12, 2009 8:23 AM
    On FedEx vehicle for delivery
    SUN VALLEY, CA

Jun 12, 2009 7:31 AM
    At local FedEx facility
    SUN VALLEY, CA

Jun 12, 2009 4:43 AM
    At dest sort facility
    BURBANK, CA

Jun 12, 2009 3:07 AM
    Departed FedEx location
    MEMPHIS, TN

Jun 12, 2009 12:14 AM
    Arrived at FedEx location
    MEMPHIS, TN

Jun 11, 2009 3:20 PM
    Departed FedEx location
    ANCHORAGE, AK

Jun 11, 2009 12:51 PM
    Int'l shipment release
    ANCHORAGE, AK

Jun 11, 2009 12:34 PM
    Arrived at FedEx location
    ANCHORAGE, AK

Jun 11, 2009 2:28 PM
    In transit
    SHANGHAI CN

Jun 10, 2009 8:10 PM
    Left FedEx origin facility
    SHANGHAI CN

Jun 10, 2009 7:47 PM
    Picked up
    SHANGHAI CN
    Package received after FedEx cutoff

Jun 10, 2009 5:44 PM
    Shipment information sent to FedEx

Order Date: Jun 8, 2009 at 03:24 PM PDT. I got a 13" MBP/2.53/500GB.

The speed with which it got to me after it hit the US was crazy. I was very pleased. Just in time to capture some video on set via firewire on Saturday. :D

I did pay for expedited shipping (2-3 day). The $15 bucks was well worth it.

11. WarriorTi22 Guest

Mine was scheduled to deliver on thursday, but it came yesterday!!! It took 3 days to get from shanghai to my house in ohio. Mine missed the first cutoff in shanghai too tho. Sorry to hear about your luck, hopefully it comes soon!

12. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

Well you were a lucky one. I paid for it to and mine certainly didn't move that fast. I'm on the third business day since it shipped from China and it still hasn't left Alaska yet.

13. GolPosts.com thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the greetings Adam! I hope this "world" you speak of doesn't make me post rude and unwarranted attacks on internet forums too......

Why would I be glad they didn't stick it on a freighter ship?! Thats a bit of a false dichotomy no? I would be glad if FedEx managed to get my laptop onto an airplane headed towards Alaska in under 4 days... Or if there was a chance my brand new MBP could get to me when FedEx said it would. Maybe I should just accept that it will get here faster than it would if it were on a "freighter ship" and blissfully go about my day, but unfortunately I have standards (partially established because I ordered a $2700 Apple product) which are much too high. I apologize for wasting your time.

As for this thread being "FML-worthy"
    I used that title simply to get people to click on it and to raise my chances of getting a response. Pretty simple marketing technique which obviously worked on you ;)

Everyone else: Thanks for all your responses! Its helping me get through this rather annoying situation! It also tells me that I shouldn't worry too much just yet since others have had similar issues!

14. Unprocessed1 macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

15. GolPosts.com thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm in Virginia

16. MyDesktopBroke macrumors 6502

I ordered a refurb, but it's still taking a while.

I'm on the east coast, and mine shipped from Cali. It's stilling in Salt Lake, Utah for it's 5th day in a row.

17. harcosparky macrumors 68020

This is why I hate ordering over the net.

I am a ' want it now' kind of guy! :lol:

Picked up both of our new MBP's at the Apple Store in Christiana, Delaware.

Saved myself a lot in taxes.

Upgraded the memory and hdd's myself.

I have a pre-WWDC 15" and got a post WWDC 13" for my daughter.

I am trying to get her to trade with me, that little 13" is a sweet unit!!!!