New MBP feels EXTREMELY SLOW

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Fazzl, Aug 3, 2009.

1. Fazzl macrumors 6502a

Fazzl

I have a new 13" 2.2ghz 2GB MBP but its been feeling really slow lately. I keep getting the spinning beach ball when surfing in safari etc. When i type sometimes it lags and videos on youtube skip at times. My old MBP (in my sig) is perfect and has pretty much the same specs. Any ideas?

2. dmbfan41 macrumors regular

yeah i get the same with my new macbook pro.. it locks up sometimes, very annoying. i'm going to just reinstall osx eventually.

3. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

when you feel your MBP is lagging and not responding to some applications take a screen shot of Activity Monitor sorted by CPU, and the memory tab and post it here.

4. Fazzl thread starter macrumors 6502a

Fazzl

ok here are some pics...its not crazy slow right now, but its def not what a mac should feel like (ive had a mac for a few years now)

Itunes is a hassle to move around it and keeps lagging when switching menus etc.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

oh yeah and this is without transmission running.. it usually slows down much more with transmission running.

but sometimes it will work just perfect, weird.

5. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

What's the "Installer" process that you've got running, munching on your CPU?

Edit: You're also paging a lot. You could do with a reboot! And maybe more RAM...

6. questproject macrumors newbie

1. Installer has you doing something - like the man said, and

2. More RAM - everyone needs it but especially you...

:)

7. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

edit your post and place tags with [img] around your images to make them fit the board properly… sorry i should have just asked for the first five or so processes when sorted by CPU and real memory.

Installer is taking a fair bit of CPU as the above posters have mentioned, quit this and your MBP should become less choppy.

mds which is the Spotlight indexing service is taking a fair bit of RAM, is Spotlight indexing your disks (indicated by pulsating Spotlight icon)? wait for this to finish and you should be good.

also you have 1.62 GB of page-outs which means you need more memory to run what applications you are using smoothly without paging to disk which causes slowdowns. i suggest upgrading to 4 GB, 2x 2GB of RAM isnt too expensive these days or wait for Snow Leopard which i have found runs better than Leopard on my 1 gig 'o RAM.

if its still running slowly just give it a reboot and limit the amount of startup applications you have running.

8. Fazzl thread starter macrumors 6502a

Fazzl

thanks for the replys...can someone tell me what is the best Ram to get for this 13" MBP?

9. Fazzl thread starter macrumors 6502a

Fazzl

here are some pics from this morning and i keep getting the beachball when opening new tabs in safari etc.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. karim7 macrumors newbie

I was having the same problems with my mbp 13" I took it to the apple store and the guy at the genius bar told me to reinstall the OS with archive option which means it will only re-install the system files but keep all your data. I did this about a week ago and my mbp has been running a lot faster

11. Fazzl thread starter macrumors 6502a

Fazzl

hmm. so all my movies and pics and music etc will still be there on the hdd while performing this?

12. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

are you all up to date? open Software Update and check. also download Onyx and run the Automation and then reboot (boot time and apps will feel slow at first until they re-cache). any DDR3 1066 MHz SO-DIMMs will work in a MacBook Pro. if you live in the US Newegg is good.

an archive and install just moves your existing system to another folder and then reinstalls the system. if choose "preserve your user and network settings" this will your home folder (containing your files, music, pictures etc.) and settings to the new install. make sure you have a backup of you files before you do this just in case and delete the previous system folder if you do not need it as it takes up a bit of space.