New MBP, first impressions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Clanky, Nov 2, 2008.

1. Clanky macrumors newbie

Having made the switch over from PC's to Macs 3 months ago with a 24" i-Mac, and being thrilled with the product, my wife and I took the next step this weekend and purchased a new 15" MBP from the Apple store in Toronto.

Before heading down to drop my hard earned cash, I browsed this site and the Apple Discussion forums, and thoroughly read all the posts on both the MB and the MBP. Initially, I wanted to keep the costs down, and thought that the MB would suit our needs. At the store, we compared the two side by side and quickly realized that the display on the MB wasn't up to our liking. It really does have a very narrow viewing 'sweet spot', keeping your head aligned at the centre, the colours wash out badly at the top and bottom of the screen. The MBP's screen also suffers from this but no where near as noticeable. We thoroughly inspected the MBP, checked for all the commented on faults (crooked keys, slanted keys, loose battery cover, dust under the screen, track pad bumps, clicking space bar) found none, had them turn it on, checked the quality of the screen, and the speakers. Got their assurance that I could return the machine without question if I found any dead pixels (once I got home), and finally once satisfied, asked for an upgrade to 4GB RAM. Took advantage of the free printer offer and added a Cannon Pixma MP620.

I've had the MBP on for about 12 hrs and it's a thing of beauty. I've loaded Aperture 2 and will load up some of my other software today. I've run out the battery and then charged it fully (got about 4.5hrs on my first full charge)

highly recommended from a guy that wanted to post up a thumbs up initial review.

Frank :)

2. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

Congrats on your new perfect laptop. It's good to hear some positive review!

3. jamestemroot macrumors member

4. Clanky thread starter macrumors newbie

I should mention one additional point of interest. When we bought our 24" i-Mac (3 months ago), we purchased the additional 2yr warranty for an added $200. This time around, Apple wanted $400 for the additional 2yr warranty on the MBP. This seemed excessive to us. Hopefully if any issues manifest themselves, it'll be in the first year.

Frank :apple:

5. astudentis macrumors regular

you still have one year to purchase the apple care.. and with edu discount it goes from 400$->270$!

6. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Congratulations on a fantastic computer and may both you and your splendid new MBP live long and prosper together. Re Applecare, you have a year from the date of purchase to decide whether or not to get it; my recommendation would be to get it - it'll give you peace of mind for three years.

Cheers and good luck