New MBP for Arc student 2.66 vs 2.8 etc

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by thebrain74, Jun 15, 2009.

1. thebrain74 macrumors regular

So I am replacing my SR 2.2 15'' MBP with a new unibody one mostly because I want to ditch this graphics card before it fails on me....again (probably out of warranty the second time).

So I am looking at the 2.66 MBP and the 2.8. Initially I was going to go with the 2.8 because of the graphics memory, but I am somewhat hesitant to do that now since it is based on the older processor. I am really enamored with the new battery life in the laptops and I want a long running and cool laptop. So basically I have to choose between higher graphics memory or a newer chip. I will be using the normal arc programs (AutoCAD, revit, Maya, Adobe Suite, and Rhino). I was wondering how much that extra graphics memory would be a big asset here, more than enough to make up for the processor.

I assume the 2.8 proc in the 17'' is the same as well (I have considered it for screen real estate but its size is a turn off....I have a 23'' ACD to work with, but arc on the go could be nice).

Also I don't know if anyone has any experience with this, but are SSD's especially useful for these programs, as the 128 is pretty cheap now, I just don't know if I will be able to fit everything since I have to dual boot

Thanks for all of the help.

2. thebrain74 thread starter macrumors regular

3. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

2.66 vs 2.8 is not much of a difference. Since you'll be doing 3D modelling i think the higher VRAM will be more useful to you...even more so if you'll be driving an external display. In which case you'll have to opt for the 2.8 anyway unless you manage to get a previous model 2.66

As for SSD i dunno...i'd argue you need the space traditional HDDs provide instead