New MBP for college

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mac59874, Jun 15, 2011.

1. mac59874 macrumors newbie

I'm going to buy a new MBP for college and can't decide 15" or 17". I want the 1920x1200 screen but is it worth the extra size. I currently have a 17" MBP and couldn't decide if it's going to kill me in college. I'm going to be a Computer Science Major if that's going to be a factor. Thanks.

2. RoyalFlushAK(s) macrumors member

I would go with 15", 2.3GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, 256GB SSD, and 8GB memory. It will cost you a little over $3000 and you'll have top of the line machine. But, hey, I'm not working for living but play pro poker in Vegas and I'm loaded, so to speak, lol, lol

RoyalFlushAK(s)

3. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

If you're a CS major, chances are you won't really have to carry a computer around a ton (ironic as that is), so I'd suggest either the 17" alone, or the 15" with a monitor. I have the 13" + monitor combo and that works great for me.

4. ThirtyThr33 macrumors 6502

ThirtyThr33

I imagine a 15 would be better, though you may not have to carry your laptop around for your CS classes its still nice to get out of the dorms and take your laptop to a coffee shop or the library (speaking from experience) and hauling around a 17" would be a lot of work esp with other textbooks and such.

I'd get a 15 and spend the extra couple bucks on a good external monitor for home/dorm

5. RyeMN macrumors member

Hey! I'm also going for a computer related major in college (IT or CS) and I've had a few talks with some friends who are in the field, so I'll pass some stuff on to you.

I myself am getting the 15 inch, 2.2 GHz, 1920 x 1080 glossy,8 gb, and 500gb 7200 RPM.

I got the higher resolution since I don't really want an external monitor, and I wouldn't be able to upgrade the resolution in the futurue.

2.3 GHz for an extra $250 would be too expensive,and 2.2 would get the job done just fine.

The memory is perfect, you'll be able to handle pretty much anything thrown at you and won't have to worry upgraded for a good while.

I choose the 500GB 7200 RPM since it's faster. The SSD currently in the store is way too expensive, I'm personally going to wait until SSDs are cheaper and then I'll be able to replace it.

Hope this is helpful

6. mtip macrumors member

There is no such thing. You must mean 15" 1680x1050. Just saying... :)