New MBP for Final Cut

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Dr Strangelove, Jun 4, 2010.

1. Dr Strangelove macrumors regular

Guys I tried to search this but could not find anything. I currently have a late 2008 MBP with C2D 2.53 Ghz and use it primarily for Final Cut Studio.

I cannot seem to find benchmarks on upgrading to the new i5 or i7 as far as performance increases specifically for HD video editing. I would really love to have a shorter workflow.

Right now I have a party interested to by my current MBP and have around $1k to put towards a new model but I'm not sure it is worth it.

Any thoughts or experiences on this?

2. LedCop macrumors regular

LedCop

If there's anything that justifies an i5 or i7 over a C2D, it would most definitely be video encoding.

But I've heard from more experienced Final Cut Studio users that the software is old and if I remember correctly, not multi-threaded. Nevertheless, the single threaded performance of the i5/i7 is quicker still, over the C2D. I'd say it's worth it.

There will be yet another new processor architecture from Intel that will make its way into notebooks (probably the MBP too) in the first quarter of next year, if you can wait.

Here's one set of benchmarks: http://www.anandtech.com/show/3659/apples-15inch-core-i5-macbook-pro-the-one-to-get/3

3. johnnymg macrumors 65816

johnnymg

Do a search for "cinebench" and you should come up with some comparisons.

Don't expect a huge difference with the new i5/i7 machines over your computer. There just isn't that much difference.

JMO, but if you're doing "serious" video work you should go for the upcoming MP. You can legally run your FCS on both machines.

cheers
    JohnG

4. johnnymg macrumors 65816

johnnymg

5. Dr Strangelove thread starter macrumors regular

6. jamone13 macrumors regular

I haven't used FCP on mine but I had the same machine you had and before I sold it for a i7 I timed converting a TV episode to iPhone format using Quicktime X's preset. The C2D took 25 min for 1 copy, and over 50 for 2 simultaneous conversions. While the i7 took 4 min for 1 copy and 5 min for 4 simultaneous conversions. This is huge for me.

7. Dr Strangelove thread starter macrumors regular

Wow that is a significant difference. Crazy....

I just wonder if it transfer to Final Cut usage...anyone at all using this or FCE with the current MBP?

8. Opstech macrumors 6502a

Opstech

Any upgrade is worth it. If I had a chance, I would upgrade to the new i5