New MBP for GoPro footage - SSD size?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by gryffin, Dec 13, 2016.

1. gryffin macrumors newbie

Hello all:

I am a long-time PC user attempting to switch to the MBP.

I purchased the new stock model $2799 2016 MBP (455 GPU, 16 GB RAM, 512 SSD) and I really enjoy using it. However, I am beginning to wonder if I should spend the extra money for a larger SSD (I'm still in the return window on the machine).

I use the GoPro when scuba diving on vacation and estimate that I'll take about 100 GB of HD video (MP4) on an average trip. I'd prefer not to have to travel with an external drive, though I expect to need one at home to archive footage.

Right now, I am planning on applying the protune correction in GoPro Studio, then using iMovie for white balancing and the rest of my editing. That means I could have both .MP4 and .mov files on the laptop while traveling. I don't think I would have time to do a lot of editing while on vacation, but might want to have room on the SSD to at least get started on a project.

I'm wondering if anyone has experience with a similar workflow and has any advice on SSD size. My two reservations with getting the bigger SSD are the wait time to get it and of course, the extra cost. But if it makes better long term sense to have the extra space, then I'll bite the bullet.

Thanks-

2. whitestar27 macrumors newbie

I have the 12" MacBook which I run FCPX and Motion on, believe it or not. I make motorbike videos and I can easily come back from a day ride with a couple hundred gigs of video. Before I got a USB hub I'd just make sure I kept half the 512 SSD free, import into FCPX then when I connected my external drive move the files over. Not sure how much space you need free to edit, it never seemed to slow down for me

I initially used the GoPro importer to bring the files in and then copied them to FCPX but I found it easy to lose track of which files I'd imported and i hated having 2 copies while I was importing so now I import direct into FCPX. I know this doesn't help you much sorry.

3. sotiredofsoup macrumors member

If you are having doubts, I would upgrade to the 1TB option since they are now soldered in and there's no upgrading in the future. I am incredibly limited (internally) with 256GB in my 2012 rMBP and I plan to go with at least 1TB in a 2016 or 2017 MBP. (I know mine is upgradeable, but I'll be back in the market soon anyway.) It's really easy to come back with a full 64GB card or two shooting some 1080p60 footage and a couple of timelapses. I've read that SSDs like to have 10-20% of free space for optimal performance. I'm not sure if it's still the case as SSD tech progresses, but that may be a consideration.

4. BeechFlyer macrumors regular

BeechFlyer

If you don't want to rely on an external drive while on the road, then yes, upgrade now.

5. dwig macrumors 6502

If you want to do any editing while on the trip then:
    1. upgrade how!
    2. buy and carry an external HD. 2-4tb drives are very affordable and very small
    You don't want to touch the captured video files without first having a secure backup.

6. MSastre macrumors 6502

MSastre

Your video captures are gold. It is always a good idea to first make exact copies of your camera cards (not just the files within) and keep them on a completely separate drive. Then in FCP X, make a camera archive and keep that on a drive separate from your OS drive and Final Cut. Then import and edit from the camera archive. Depending on project size, you can decide where you want to store the Library and whether or not you want it to be a managed library (completely self contained) or not.