New MBP Freezes

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hayden21, Apr 22, 2008.

1. hayden21 macrumors member

Okay so I just bought my MBP a week ago from Best Buy. I have the basic MBP, and its worked great until today when its' froze on me twice now. The werid part is I am not running anything too memory intensive at least I don't think so both times its happened I have had iChat running, Firefox running, and iTunes, the last time it happened I had just opened iPhoto and switch back to my iTunes and it froze again. Is this normal or should I get it checked out?

Both times I have had to reboot my computer, granted I am not sure if I am doing Force Quit right (Its sad when I miss control, alt, delete)

2. hayden21 thread starter macrumors member

Okay so its happened three times today and this time I realized each time i was in iTunes Cover Flow. Has anybody else had this issue?

3. chrisbeebops macrumors regular

How much music / album covers are you trying to display? I have a ~35GB music library, and enabling coverflow brings my system to its knees as iTunes consumes over 1GB of ram *by itself*. If you disable CoverFlow in iTunes, iTunes will use ~50MB of ram, which is much more reasonable.

Your computer probably isn't frozen dead. All of your other applications are just waiting for their fair share of memory.

4. vniow macrumors G4

5. Sir Cecil macrumors 6502a

I saw an issue in the Apple Store. I was clicking through Coverflow images on a demo model and the computer would freeze when clicking directly on a particular cover image adjacent to the central (main) cover image (with the intention of bringing the adjacent image to the fore.

A Mac Genius came over to take a look and it happened with ALL their setups, including the Mac Pro with 30" screen. We worked out that by running through the cover images with the arrow keys, no freeze happened. But by clicking directly on one particular Coverflow image with the mouse
    (or trackpad button), everything would freeze, needing a restart.

The Genius said he'd never seen this before and assumed it was a software glitch. Is this similar to your experience with Coverflow? If so, it is evident with all the computers Apple had on display.

6. firedriven macrumors newbie

same thing is happening to me. everytime i try do put song into my ipod just dragging the covers to the ipod icon using coverflow, my macbook pro freezes and i need to force the shutdown.

yesterday it happened 5 times.
    :confused: