New MBP freezing up.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pinsrw, Jul 8, 2010.

1. pinsrw macrumors regular

Hi all,

I've had a 2010 MBP 13 for a week and it has frozen up three times. I did complete system updates early on. This happens at random times but usually when I've been using it a while e.g. web browsing. This is a hard freeze, so the mouse & keyboard have no effect, and putting the screen down does not put the laptop to sleep. Only holding down the power button has an effect.

I have a week yet to return or exchange it at Best Buy, in which time I need to prove or disprove that it's defective.

The Best Buy tech person said he'd need to run Tech Tools 5 overnight to determine whether it's a hardware defect. He also made it clear he wants to say it's a software issue caused by basically anything I may have installed. The only unusual thing that I've got installed is VirtualBox.

My question for you all is, is there a free "burn in" program like Tech Tools 5 that I can use to determine where the problem may be?

Or better yet, does OS/X keep a log file anywhere to record information about kernel crashes? Mind you there was never any message about a kernel panic. The machine just froze on 3 occasions.

Thanks.

2. south8212 macrumors 6502

My advice...take it back and exchange it for another one. I would first try an erase and install and if that doesn't help then it's most likely a logic board or ram issue. Save yourself the trouble and exchange it.

To answer your question, no there is no tool like that. Even apples diagnostic software can't point out the issue most of the time.

3. wschutz macrumors 6502

I guess you did not find this...
    Although it seems that people are not posting as often as they used to... so... perhaps the problem is being addressed with a combination of the latest OS update... and maybe... an internal hardware revision because the Apple's discussion thread is also suffering from low posts... :)