New MBP from Apple Store looks like it was opened

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Wingnut330, Mar 22, 2008.

1. Wingnut330 macrumors 6502a

Has anyone else ever seen this? It has 2 clear stickers sealing the box and one of them looks like it might have been opened. In other words, the box looks like it has been opened and resealed. Should I open it or exchange it?

2. SVT Amateur macrumors 6502

Open it. If there are any issues take it back immediately and I'm sure they will replace it. Take a picture before you do so if it makes you feel better.

3. Wingnut330 thread starter macrumors 6502a

OK, so I took a few pictures then decided to try and peel the top sticker off. I peeled it back and the sticker underneath had DEFINITELY been cut open. I'm gonna take a look at it, but I will likely take it back.

4. Wingnut330 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Called the Apple Store. They said that the factory has had to re-open some of the machines to place Leopard disks in the boxes. He asked me to open it and check the laptop seal. It had not been broken. He said to play around with it and if I saw any issues to let him know. So far so good.

5. ozziegn macrumors 6502a

ozziegn

I would think that most laptops being sold now in days already have Leopard as their main OS and not as a drop in DVD like in the very beginning.

6. Wingnut330 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yea and my MBP did already have Leopard on it. Hmmmm

7. ozziegn macrumors 6502a

ozziegn

okay, I would take that sign as a definite STRIKE ONE! two more strikes and that MBP would be OUT! :p

but for real, I would take it back because there's no reason why Apple would have needed to reopen it to drop in a Leopard drop in disk if it already came installed.

I'm think you bought an opened box item. whatever the real case is, I'd still take it back. MBPs are super expensive machines which means you are entitled to getting one that hasn't been touched by no one's hands except for the people who assembled it.

8. PDE macrumors 68020

I've seen this is on several apple laptops purchased both from apple and amazon.com. I can't explain it, but all the machines seemed to have been new on inspection. Don;'t think you need to worry about it.

9. Deadaim357 macrumors member

Deadaim357

My MBP was open and resealed due to the Leopard drop in DVD. Mine came with Tiger installed. If nothings wrong with the machine and none of the other stuff has been messed around with then I wouldn't worry about it.

10. Wingnut330 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well - I'll likely take it back as my screen is yellow at the bottom. We'll see what they say about it. I love this machine though. Actually, I have loved every single one I purchased. iMac has been my favorite so far...

11. NamisloC macrumors newbie

From what I've heard, you're not the only one!

12. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Sometimes they open it to check that everything is in there. As long as the seal on the computer bag is not broken you should be fine.

13. iJesus macrumors 6502a

iJesus

Wait, so did your MacBook Pro already have leopard installed?

And did it also have a leopard drop in DVD?

14. neal.yng macrumors newbie

I bought my MBP about a month ago and it had Tiger installed and a Leopard disk. I can't believe how long it is taking to just get Leopard installed on all the machines.

15. Wingnut330 thread starter macrumors 6502a

16. bcaslis macrumors 68020

I've had two from an Apple that both had the double clear stickers on them. As far as I tell it was not opened by the store, maybe in the Factory? Both were penryn models (the first returned due to yellow screen). I suspect that what happened is that 10.5.2 was released and models that were manufactured (but not shipped yet) were pulled back and updated to 10.5.2. Mine both had 10.5.2. on disk and installed. If you remember 10.5.2 was released only a little before the new MBPs were announced.

17. lofight macrumors 68000

lofight

In the shop where i buy apple gear, they always open (so you can see it) your product to see if there isn't anything wrong with it...

18. docal97 macrumors 6502a

docal97

i would take it back for a new one. In fact, before i have opened any of my Apple products, I always check to ensure that it is factory sealed. I have never had an instance where it has not been, but if I had a situation like yours, I would never have opened it, and insisted on an immediate replacement.

19. bcaslis macrumors 68020

Keep in mind that everyone inside the box was sealed including the wrapping the computer was in. The box itself was the only thing that looked like it had two stickers. I think they were opened at the factory not at the store. In fact I know one of the machines I got had just arrived that morning (since they didn't have that configuration the evening before).

20. xpovos macrumors 6502a

xpovos

If it had had absolutely no issues, I would have said don't worry about it. Like PDE said, this has happened before (I've seen it, too) and nothing bad ever came of it. However, since yours has the yellow screen issue, I would take it back regardless of any questions about it having been opened before. You paid your premium; you deserve an excellent screen.

21. MacBookJoePro macrumors regular

I noticed also that there it was taped twice when i got my MBP from the apple store. I asked the apple employee and she said that it comes from factory like that sometimes. I checked and checked and rechecked everything and it all seems to brand new. Nothing was open and the laptop works better than my last 3 I got from the apple store. I wouldn't worry about it too much unless other things were wrong with it.

-JoE

22. Mo Tiggas macrumors member

Yes it's an expensive machine, but this seems a bit over the top. You're just getting yourself all worked up for what seems to be a, NEW, PERFECT computer... enjoy that MBP

23. iJesus macrumors 6502a

iJesus

Well, if you got the MBP with Leopard already installed and a drop in Leopard disc, late christmas present? Maybe you have an older mac that you'd like to upgrade.

I think that as long as your machine is in good working order, you're good.

24. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

That's a interesting hypothesis as I don't think mine came with 5.2