new MBP: fw ports not working. Any suggestions?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by malch, Mar 25, 2008.

1. malch macrumors 6502

Hi there,
    Just got a new MBP, 2.5 GHz, 4BG RAM.
    I've got five fw drives attached (fw hub), turned on and humming, and nothing mounts on the desktop.
    Don't be too quick to blame the hub, because when I plug the same fw cables into my powerbook, which is still sitting nearby, all the drives mount.
    Are my fw ports no good in this new machine, or is there some System setting I don't have checked?
    Thanks,
    malch

2. skorpien macrumors 68020

Try connecting a single drive to the MBP directly. If that doesn't mount, it's the MBP's ports. If it does, it's the hub (maybe not compatible).

If it's the MBP, I think your best bet would be to take it to an Apple store and have them check it out. But then again, I'm not too sure if there is something that can be done to fix the problem yourself (new to Mac here...)

3. malch thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks skorpien. Yes I tried just a single fw drive, and no luck. I'll call Apple and see what they say.
    malch

4. malch thread starter macrumors 6502

Problem solved.
    Phoned Apple - - they had me unplug AC, take the battery out, hold the Power button down for five seconds, and then reboot.
    Some system re-set itself.
    Cheers,
    malch

5. skorpien macrumors 68020

Hey malch, glad to hear! Always better to have a problem solved w/o having to send it in for service. And good to know if I ever have a similar problem. Thx!

6. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

That happened to my MBP too, a simple reboot probably would have worked though. Annoying as anything bug though!

7. malch thread starter macrumors 6502

I can see why you're jaded, monkey. I will be too, if it continues to happen... on that note - - is this a known bug? If it happened to two of us, I wonder if there's a flaw somewhere...
    malch